Pick a new name for Beatmaker

Comments

• @tk32 said:
    Intua Studio?

Not very imaginative, but it’s the future proof logical choice for a more serious continuation on the Mac platform.

• edited March 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Sorry, not to be disrespectful, but if you believe anything those muppets at Imageline tell you, you have serious issues, heres some of Gols previous beauties ;)
    "Most downloaded software ever, but nobody buys a licence"
    "It's a silly law, we do not have to abide by it"
    "Nobody uses Macs"
    "64bit gives you no advantages at all"
    "VST wont catch on"

I saw Beatmaker mentioned at KVR once, the two replies....
    "Is this more garbage by Magix" Because they already have 'MusicMaker' everywhere and it is crap.
    "With a name like that it is obviously just going to throw up adverts and give me Viruses"

:D I remember what Gol said. I'm not talking about him. Im talking about the software DAW. If it wasn't good it wouldn't be the most downloaded pirated software out there. In my opinion and I said my opinion it is the quickest way for me. Why do I need to have issues if I believe in what image line said or do? I can easily say you also have issues for what you believe in but it wouldn't matter to you would it? So with that said everyone's has their own opinion, belief, way of doing things. We shouldn't worry about the little things like a cool name. If you use BM3 to make music everyday for whatever reason it doesn't matter what the name is. At the end of the day the output will be the same. @mathieugarcia can change the name tomorrow and it wouldn't affect how I use it.

Also why almost everyone around here starting a reply or convo with the "No Disrespect" thing? Are we that sensitive that we can't hold o mature convo or some criticism? I don't get it. Someone please explain.

• edited March 2018

Everyone jumped all over Apple for iPad vs feminine hygiene products. Look at the impact that had on sales! ;) What’s in a name? I’m fine with BM3.

PS - I really find it hard to believe that creative types wouldn’t try or use a piece of software just because of the name. But I know they’re out there.

• @anickt said:
    Everyone jumped all over Apple for iPad vs feminine hygiene products. Look at the impact that had on sales! ;) What’s in a name? I’m fine with BM3.

PS - I really find it hard to believe that creative types wouldn’t try or use a piece of software just because of the name. But I know they’re out there.

Yeah it feels like that would have been way more of a problem in the past, pre-youtube/forums/FB. When the packaging/name/magazine reviews of something was what drew people in to buying it. But today I'd imagine if there's even a small buzz that's rippling out then like 99% of potential customers these days are gonna check out some vids, regardless of the name? Unless it's something crazy and totally f#*ked up offensive etc..

There'll always be some weirdos tho I guess.. But probably no way of pleasing all of those kind of hardcore oddballs at the same time anyway ;)

Either way, extreme people like that are surely waaaaay in the minority and not enough to really hurt overall sales? Just guessing stats but personally I don't know one single person that would bail on looking at BM3 down to the name alone. Its not like its called Intua Concentration Camp.... The ios thing having some stigma in some circles is probably a more significant battle, but again, shouldn't hurt long term if the product has some 'wow' factor and is solid...

• Bern Musicstation
    Blunt Marketeer
    Be Meditating
    Bread Machine
    Banana Modulator
    Big Mama
    Be MyGuest
    🤪

All sillyness aside, I think you get my point... I like the B, the M (and the 3)

• Back when we were considering a name change, @samu sent me a link to this interesting article:

https://illmindproducer.com/blogs/news/162162823-the-difference-between-a-music-producer-a-beat-maker

A good read for sure.

Cheers!

• edited March 2018

Why are we having this discussion? Imageline has the most rediculously named FruityLoops, but for the more serious minded it's FLStudio. I see nothing wrong with BM3 or BM3 Studio. At least you guys don't have the problem NI has with their decision to mangle the English language with their Traktor or Maschine... more ugly and senseless with every passing year, but the quality of the product outshines the silly brand name. Stick to your roots Intua, I can't emphasise that any more strongly...

• I just call it BM3, short and simple.
    Thankfully it's for now free from marketing cliches like 'X-Producer', 'i-Syndrome', 'Live', 'X-Looper' etc.

Don't know but since I'm mostly using the iPad as a 'stand alone' when it's not hooked to an Audio-Interface.
    Based on the 'stand alone' approach 'Sound Tap' has a nice ring to it.

Sure it may sound like a 'kids toy' but then again it is kinda playful to swipe, tap and stroke?! the screen :D

• edited March 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:
    Why are we having this discussion? Imageline has the most rediculously named FruityLoops, but for the more serious minded it's FLStudio. I see nothing wrong with BM3 or BM3 Studio. At least you guys don't have the problem NI has with their decision to mangle the English language with their Traktor or Maschine... more ugly and senseless with every passing year, but the quality of the product outshines the silly brand name. Stick to your roots Intua, I can't emphasise that any more strongly...

I agree 100%. That's what I was saying. Doesn't matter at all. the output from what you make with said piece of either hardware or software will not change due to a name change amd won't make you sound more professional.

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Back when we were considering a name change, @samu sent me a link to this interesting article:

https://illmindproducer.com/blogs/news/162162823-the-difference-between-a-music-producer-a-beat-maker

A good read for sure.

Cheers!

Interesting read

• In the same topic this little offtopic
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25307/the-end-of-desktop-daws

Aside some nuts conclusions, it has some interesting points about no need for desktop and related... a standarized name. Just users.

• edited March 2018

I quite like the idea of a name that sounds like a woman, since my relationship with BM3 has been like a love affair.

Intua Moniker ©

• @tk32 said:
    I quite like the idea of a name that sounds a bit like a woman, since my relationship with BM3 has sort of been like a love affair.

Intua Moniker ©

Intua Beat Make up
    :trollface:

• Some more random names

Intua SonoLab
    Intua Gidora (after Ghidorah, the 3-headed Kaiju)*
    Intua Servo (a nod to all the automation/macro options)

*3-headed because of the triad of modes: Pads / Scenes / Song

• The logical name would just be Intua Maker because its moved on from just beats.

• Yep.. just drop the word beat.

Intua Maker 1.0

• Best suggestion: just drop beat and call it Maker. I have said the words "but the name of the app doesn't really reflect what it does" too many times recently to buddies asking about my favorite toolset on iPad.

• @mathieugarcia has incited a civil war... Beatmakers revolt! :p

• I like Intua Maker!

• @5pinlink said:
    The logical name would just be Intua Maker because its moved on from just beats.

;)

• How about Virtuoso?

• I like maker, it reminds me of Dune 🙂

• edited March 2018

Studio just gets ignored, Bitwig isn't called Bitwig, it's called studio ;)

• edited March 2018

I like BeatMaker 💩

Language thoughts:

• "Beat" is just another way to say Track, Tune, Song, Composition, etc. Each has different connotations but is ultimitely saying the same thing.
    • It's getting into linguistic nerdery but to say "Beatmaker does more than beats!" does as much to downlplay the significance of a "beat" just as much as it hypes BM depth and breadth.
    • "Beat" culture is strong.

• I don't have access to the demographics to know who BeatMaker is popular with, but the pad banging crowd "making beats" is NOT negative thing.
      • Riddims can be even more significant than any single song, even creating their own sub genres. In the classical ussage (dub/regge) a "riddim" is the whole instrumental part, not "just drums"
    • With the limited attention spans of people I think that "beat" production is only going to get stronger. We already have seen a shift from albums to singles, for social you have to make an impression in less than 60 seconds.

• "Toy" connotations aren't bad. Creation is a playful process. Tools need to be accessible for people to approach them and express themselves.

• Since I ran my first music label in 199X my goal was to celebrate amateur producers. I wasn't in the business of releasing shitty demos, but I was in the business of encouraging EVERYONE to have a hand at musical expression. I'm still doing the same thing today through CODAME ART+TECH, just the umbrella has widdened to creative outlets of all kinds, not just music.
      • This is becoming a trending topic. Apple is pushing Everyone Can Create, as automation eats up decision making jobs the only thing left to do will be telling each other stories through entertainment, etc
      • Interesting that interest in DIY spikes every halloween and shows healthy growth but sad to see any search terms related to making music are declining since 2011
    • For live performers, "beat" composition makes a lot of sense. I typically get on stage with something that lets me jockey all the beats I've made, as granular as possilbe (doesn't need to be loop level, 64-128 bars is good). If a groove is working, loop it, mix into it, play with it. If not, drop into the next beat! I don't want to get on stage with a 4 minute song and hit play, not be able to respond to the audience, etc.

Marketing thoughts:

• BeatMaker has a legacy. Overall I'm not sure how important this is because what you want to do is grow your user base, not just impress an existing user base
    • The largerst market isn't existing producers, it's people who could be prodcuers. So a name chance would need to appeal to a focus group of people... first I'd go full range, see who out of all demographics has thought about making music, would like to make music, etc. From that group I'd test some names to see what would draw them in, encourage them to try making music.
    • Mobile Music Making is a greate niche to occupy, since 2014 more people in the world have cell phones than desktops.

• I'm surprised BM3 launched on iPad before iOS, they ussage stats they have access to must show that iPad is more popular for this particular music app. Make music iPhone crushes similar searches for other platforms... and there are 8 times as many searches for "make music iphone" as there are for "make music ipad." Regarding desktop, from a business standpoint, the effort put into bringing BM to any platform should reflect the percentage of market that gains to be captured.
      • Creating a destkop app is the wrong answer to "what happens after I make a beat on a mobile device." The zoom-out is that the beat gets released, shared, etc. An innovative move would be an application or platform that makes that easy. Something like landr / symphonic distribution / distro kid / cdbaby / etc that was accessable via mobile.
    • It's great that Intua has gotten by releasing new "major versions" but if the company is going for longevity, subscriptions are the way to go. Adobe has paved the way there.

• It doesn't matter if you have a subscription model or a pay once price, people will always bitch.
      • You can keep it affordable by giving codes to under privilaged, which is also a PR story. Saw this is already happening for schools as part of Everyone Can Create
      • I would make the app download free and functionality should be limited to the basics that the majority of newcomers use, basics to see how easy the software is to use. Subscription unlocks everything else. The player should always be full featured so that if you let your subscription lapse, you don't loose ability to hear your old songs, but can't edit them.

🆗 that got off topic, gunna stop there and went back to bold the one point I made that had any kind of suggestion about an actual name change 💩

• You have described AmpifyxNovation.

• edited March 2018

I gave up reading the post right after ""Beat" is just another way to say Track, Tune, Song, Composition, etc. Each has different connotations but is ultimitely saying the same thing."

Right then i realised that i am just old and have no idea what the non old people want, or the way they talk, a beat to me is a drumbeat, nothing else.

• For me, and speaking as a Londoner, the term “beat” is almost always used pejoratively, and refers invariably to the badly-programmed hip hop/garage/grime loops that street urchins create and then line up to spit crudely-assembled verses over.

Like so...

Perhaps in other regions it doesn't have such negative connotation.

• @tk32 said:
    For me, and speaking as a Londoner, the term “beat” is almost always used pejoratively, and refers invariably to the badly-programmed hip hop/garage/grime loops that street urchins create and then line up to spit crudely-assembled verses over.

Like so...

Perhaps in other regions it doesn't have such negative connotation.

Spain the same but accepted maybe for the target @starpause pointed which also get subscriptions or samplepacks (myself being in the last group with BlocsWave). BM3 could have bigger aspirations IMHO but only @mathieugarcia knows which marketing model and target could benefeit Intua in the bigger picture.
    Also the starpause comment remember me about that Propellerhead topic at AB forum...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19625/advice-for-developers

and the interesting paper from it
    http://www.nada.kth.se/utbildning/grukth/exjobb/rapportlistor/2011/rapporter11/lenberg_henrik_11070.pdf

Worth as read.

This discussion has been closed.