Macro Control Maps to Incorrect Midi Channel

I have a Akai LPD8 Wireless, running the latest iOS on iPad Pro 10.5, and the latest Beatmaker 3. I hadn't used the program in a while ( a couple updates), and when importing my previous mappings of the LPD8 Wireless I noticed that the 6th Macro channel didn't work.

I remapped everything, but no matter what I did, the K6 knob always mapped to the 0 channel instead of 6. I was confused, so I looked in Midi Wrench, and sure enough, no problems.

It is either some simple typo in the last release, or there is some setting I don't know about that was added to cause this particular problem, but I'm betting on a bug. :-)

Tagged:

Comments

• You mean the MIDI CC not the channel, right ?

• edited May 2018

Yes, that's what I meant. And it's the same exact hardware that had a profile saved with the correct map and that works fine in other software. It registers correctly in Midi Wrench, which leads me to believe it's a bug.

• So you tried mapping that macro to the other dials that mapped correctly ?
    Just seems very strange, we have to assume that the MIDI learn code is the same for all macros, so should be wrong on non or wrong on all, if that makes sense ?
    I dont have anything with CC to map, Will see what i can find a bit later to test.

• Yes, everything maps correctly besides that one. It also mapped correctly before. I don't have another device with me (traveling) to test.

I think it is a typographical error somewhere in the code. I am going to play with it now to see. It's very strange.

• edited May 2018

And a video of the Midi Wrench program showing it maps correctly: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vdwg1yh0hsn50kc/MidiWrench.MOV?dl=0

Dropbox compresses the crap out of video previews, so dl if you can't see clearly. :-)

• @OffendedByEverything said:
    Yes, everything maps correctly besides that one. It also mapped correctly before. I don't have another device with me (traveling) to test.

I think it is a typographical error somewhere in the code. I am going to play with it now to see. It's very strange.

Yeah what i actually meant was to try mapping it to the control you are mapping to macro 1 (The dial that is sending MIDI CC 1)
    See if that makes any difference at all to what it says it is mapping it to.

• It always maps to 0.

• Ok hopefully @mathieugarcia sees this ;)

• Maybe someone else with the same controller, or one mapping similarly, could try as well to replicate?

• I had this same problem last night. I'm using the LPD8 USB (non-wireless). Knob 6 maps to CC 0 for macro controls.

• I had this same problem last night. I'm using the LPD8 USB (non-wireless). Knob 6 maps to CC 0 for macro controls.

• Thanks for the report guys :-)

• @Johnson_Brown said:
    I had this same problem last night. I'm using the LPD8 USB (non-wireless). Knob 6 maps to CC 0 for macro controls.

It's nice when things replicate! I'm still sane.

• I have the same issue mapping my mpk mini ii: knob 6 maps to CC 0. When I was playing with this mapping on a Rhodes instance, all of the knobs worked well with the macro parameters except 6 - no matter which way I turned the knob, the parameter value would increase (never decrease).

Separately, on the same mpk, the four left-most piano keys were mapping to an E to G, rather than C to D#, then the E would pick up again after the G.

• Hi guys!
    I just bought a lpd8 wireless, and I'm having the same issue. Macro 6 always increases no matter how I turn the physical knob, and is listed as CC 0 in the editor. The controller works fine with other apps though. Any news on this since last year?

Cheers!

• I have this same exact issue in 2020 - I'm assuming this is just not going to get fixed?

• Same problem! Using akai mpd 218

• We’ve discovered there is a problem when you map a BM3 focus action to CC6. My hunch is that this is either because CC6 is usually reserved for a special purpose (data entry), or else may be a typo in the BM3 code that causes CC6 to map as CC0.

Until we manage to get a fix for this, I would strongly recommend configuring your Akai controller dials to use a different range of MIDI CC, such CC20-27 (which is what I use with my Korg Nanokey studio, and works fine).