Perforator live: AUv3 Gate Effect

I figured I might as well post this here too, since the effect works so nicely in BM3. I just launched Perforator, a Rhythmic Gate effect in AUv3 format.

It lets you design your own Gate patterns (L & R independently if you like). As a bonus feature it also sends out its patterns as AU MIDI CC messages, which is nicely usable as a surrogate Parameter Lock designer.

p.s. some of the presets were designed by our own resident 5PinLink B)

Comments

• Woohoo.

Thanks @brambos

• Instabuy, Instafun, Instaintaeverytrack haha !!!

• @5pinlink will get this for sure. Nice slick simple interface. Some of this can be done using bm3 inbuilt step modulation and envelope lfo automation though no?

• No non of this can be done with B3s modulation, this is host synced, B3s modulators are tempo and note synced, not host synced ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    No non of this can be done with B3s modulation, this is host synced, B3s modulators are tempo and note synced, not host synced ;)

What’s the difference between the two?

• It's all to do with when the patterns get re-triggered ;)

tempo sync (using the step modulator, for example) means they play at the right tempo, but not necessarily in sync with the downbeat of a bar... and no matter what you do, after they have looped a few times they start to lose sync a little. Host sync means they always align with bars of the song. (I think - can anyone confirm this?)

• @tk32 said:
    It's all to do with when the patterns get re-triggered ;)

tempo sync (using the step modulator, for example) means they play at the right tempo, but not necessarily in sync with the downbeat of a bar... and no matter what you do, after they have looped a few times they start to lose sync a little. Host sync means they always align with bars of the song. (I think - can anyone confirm this?)

100% correct B)

• another great fx app. don't know how you keep the price so low. thanks

• Awesome app. The presets are great! Took 20 minutes out of my lunch break to pl pl pla play with it :)

• Lovin it! Wanted something like this for years... I always thought of it as some sort of ‘tremeloizer’ or something.

Being able to automate or switch presets via note input would be awesome.

• @Audiogus said:
    Lovin it! Wanted something like this for years... I always thought of it as some sort of ‘tremeloizer’ or something.

Being able to automate or switch presets via note input would be awesome.

That's not the best solution right now in B3 for this sort of stuff, if it was pattern switch via notes, you couldn't ever use it on a synth plugin, automated via MIDI CC or automation would be better (For now at least)

• @tk32 thanks. Sold

• Are we able to use the AU MIDI CC messages inside of BM3?

After many hours now, i'm still getting nowhere with getting this feature working inside of BM3.
    I've been able to route it and get it working inside of AUM, but not BM3.

Anyone??

• Midi cc doesn't work reliably at all in BM3 except for controlling macros, but then I found that fast automation isn't exporting accurately either.

• I have dreams. Often late at night. Often at my desk at work, that 3.1... will save us.

• @brambos i was supposed to be watching the first ever black mixed race person being married into the British royal family, a truly historic moment, but I downloaded perforator and it was game over. Very. Cool. App. 👍

• @groovey said:
    @brambos i was supposed to be watching the first ever black mixed race person being married into the British royal family, a truly historic moment, but I downloaded perforator and it was game over. Very. Cool. App. 👍

Thanks. I watched the wedding for you (the wife insisted on it), but it was mostly chatter about the dress, the tiara and many shots of George Clooney and his wife :D

• @brambos
    Apparently at the reception, prince harry asked if anyone in the room knew how to play the piano and obviously everyone looked at Elton john. Would’ve been funny if Elton got up and pulled out an iPad with BeatMaker 3

• I haven't bought this yet (just about to) but I'm guessing the AU midi CC output from this plugin is not supported in BM3 yet?

Looks like AUM is the only way to use that feature for now.

• @tk32 I suppose whatever works with rosetta lfo works with perforator?

• I thought so too, but after watching @DeanDaughters (Electronisounds) YouTube video on parameter locking with Perforator and reading the video comments, he suggested it wasn't possible inside BM3 at the moment

• I think @DeanDaughters was wrong.

I've just bought Perforator, and think this should work fine for Midi CC routing inside BM3.

I'll report back later after testing.

• It doesnt work

• edited May 2018

.... and that's because you can't map midi cc to parameters inside other plugins in BM3 currently, right?

Doh! I should have realised that myself.

It should work for macros and modulations though, I would imagine.

• I think kq dixie did? But I don’t know how you assign cc in perforator...

• edited May 2018

@denx said:
    I think kq dixie did? But I don’t know how you assign cc in perforator...

Press the ‘utils’ button in Perforator to set the MIDI channel and CC numbers directly :)

• Kudos to the KQ Dixie developer (and @brambos, of couse) ;)

• Perforator is awesome but I'd just keep it loaded rather than map it to macros and record the automation. BM3 doesn't accurately apply macro automation to audio when using a high latency buffer and also when exporting, so gating full on to full off quickly won't turn out like you might have intended.

• Agreed. I'll keep it as a live modulation, rather than record to pattern/timeline.

Really hope automation is getting the overhaul it deserves in 3.1. I wonder when we'll see the release notes for confirmed changes.

• MIDI CC in AU MIDI has a bug in B3, so it wont play back properly in real time either.