MIDI Clock

edited July 2018 in Support

Hi there. I just started using Beat Maker (3) and the App is pretty impressive! The only thing I‘m missing so far is MIDI clock. I tried to sync a MIDI gear (Akai MPD 218) to Beat Maker‘s tempo (to use the devices Note Repeat), but it seems like there is no MIDI clock being sent. Also I couldn‘t find any setting to switch MIDI clock to on/intern.

Would appreciate any help!

Comments

• There is no MIDI clock currently ;)

• +1 for midi clock with start/stop exactly like how it is implemented in the Novation Launchpad app. :)

• 100% need MIDI Clock. It’s really keeping me from using BM3 more. I use all manner music technology.... hardware, software, computer, ipad, new, old, cv, you name it. I actually find it strange it’s not there. IMO.

• @CFF3 said:
    100% need MIDI Clock. It’s really keeping me from using BM3 more. I use all manner music technology.... hardware, software, computer, ipad, new, old, cv, you name it. I actually find it strange it’s not there. IMO.

Garage Band and Cubasis have MIDI-clock. But even after activating it, restarting the App, unplugging and plugging the device in again, the MPD218 doesn‘t recognize the clock signal! I checked the manual of the device to see if it is another Timecode standard, but according to the manual it IS MIDI clock.

So I guess, if Apple isn‘t able to make MIDI clock work in it‘s own DAW, no one else will be able to do so... it just doesn‘t work ;) !

• edited July 2018

@mixtrix said:
    no one else will be able to do so... it just doesn‘t work ;) !

exactly like how it is implemented in the Novation Launchpad app. It WORKS perfectly... 👊

• edited July 2018

@DeanDaughters said:

@mixtrix said:
    no one else will be able to do so... it just doesn‘t work ;) !

exactly like how it is implemented in the Novation Launchpad app. It WORKS perfectly... 👊

So any MIDI clock enabled controller can sync to the Launchpad App??? — or just Novation‘s own launchpad controller?

• I'm talking about midi clock tempo sync - as in a button inside the app to start and stop external hardware (sequencers/grooveboxes, etc.) gear in sync with the iOS app(s).

The Novation Launchpad app has this feature and it works very, very well.

🤗😁👊

• @DeanDaughters said:
    I'm talking about midi clock tempo sync - as in a button inside the app to start and stop external hardware (sequencers/grooveboxes, etc.) gear in sync with the iOS app(s).

The Novation Launchpad app has this feature and it works very, very well.

🤗😁👊

You‘re absolutely right! I downloaded Launchpad and tried it out... I can‘t trigger anything with my MPD218‘s pads, but it syncs to the Launchpad’s MIDI clock. So technically it‘s possible and in the meanwhile I found out that either Cubasis and GarageBand ONLY send MIDI clock when the play button is hit!

Hopefully Beat Maker will get MIDI clock support soon!!!

Cheers...

• @mixtrix said:

Amen to that, Bro! Yeah! :) <3

• Most DAWs will only send MIDI clock when they are playing, you will probably find they send MIDI transport too ;)

• @DeanDaughters said:

@mixtrix said:

Amen to that, Bro! Yeah! :) <3

@5pinlink said:
    Most DAWs will only send MIDI clock when they are playing, you will probably find they send MIDI transport too ;)

Hey people, I found a great App: „Link to MIDI“. It utilizes „Ableton Link“ (which is supported by Beat Maker) and translates the timecode to MIDI clock, which can be sent to hardware or other Apps. As there is some latency the App is able to correct that (Offset). Depending on what you want to achieve this could be a nice workaround until Beat Maker gets it‘s own MIDI clock :smile: ! For me it works! ...AND: it sends MIDI clock all the time :wink: ! ...AAAAAND: it‘s free :smiley: !

• edited July 2018

@mixtrix Interesting but as Link is not regular within BM3 and sliding slowly...
    Also Link to midi is only allowing sending the clock to one midi output...
    Well... :(

• edited July 2018

Just for your information, I tried to route the clock passing by an other midi interface then rerouting...Very bad idea !!! :D
    Hub usb crashed, with all midi controllers on it, hard reboot of the sound card...
    So it might be great for syncing one external device, but to me, the most reliable clock sent to multiple out, is Modstep.
    Just need a way to make him start/stop with MMC now...

• I have deleted your poll, it isn't needed @mathieugarcia has already said that MIDI Clock is coming at some point, no need for a vote ;)

• Use Funkbox & Link to get MIDI clock for now.

• @mixtrix said:

@CFF3 said:
    100% need MIDI Clock. It’s really keeping me from using BM3 more. I use all manner music technology.... hardware, software, computer, ipad, new, old, cv, you name it. I actually find it strange it’s not there. IMO.

Garage Band and Cubasis have MIDI-clock. But even after activating it, restarting the App, unplugging and plugging the device in again, the MPD218 doesn‘t recognize the clock signal! I checked the manual of the device to see if it is another Timecode standard, but according to the manual it IS MIDI clock.

So I guess, if Apple isn‘t able to make MIDI clock work in it‘s own DAW, no one else will be able to do so... it just doesn‘t work ;) !

MIDI Clock is working fine for me in MANY other apps. It's never going to be 100% tight like using a sample accurate clock, aka Innerclock SyncGen, SND ACME-4, etc.....but there has to be something besides Ableton Link (which is flakey as hell).

• edited July 2018

@CFF3 said:

@mixtrix said:

@CFF3 said:

MIDI Clock is working fine for me in MANY other apps. It's never going to be 100% tight like using a sample accurate clock, aka Innerclock SyncGen, SND ACME-4, etc.....but there has to be something besides Ableton Link (which is flakey as hell).

Actually it could easily be as tight as either of those products if Expert Sleepers still had his software on IOS and you used his Usamo hardware, which is much much cheaper than either of those devices and also offered note data too.
    I would not say never for anything at this point ;)

Contact Expert Sleepers, talk him in to giving up the necesary data for Usamo implementation in B3, and dont be surprised if @mathieugarcia implemented it at some point, a lot of people would be happy with that.

But all that aside, Link will be fixed and MIDI clock will be implemented @mathieugarcia has confirmed both of these previously.

• @5pinlink said:

@CFF3 said:

@mixtrix said:

@CFF3 said:

Actually it could easily be as tight as either of those products if Expert Sleepers still had his software on IOS and you used his Usamo hardware, which is much much cheaper than either of those devices and also offered note data too.
    I would not say never for anything at this point ;)

Contact Expert Sleepers, talk him in to giving up the necesary data for Usamo implementation in B3, and dont be surprised if @mathieugarcia implemented it at some point, a lot of people would be happy with that.

But all that aside, Link will be fixed and MIDI clock will be implemented @mathieugarcia has confirmed both of these previously.

I had a USAMO when they first came out and could never get it to sync right. Way to sensitive to input gain I think. I’ve used Silent Way w/ a ES-3 since @2011 and it works perfectly.... so who knows? (I’ve had much luck with Innerclock SyncGen). But I definitely agree sample accurate clock is very possible on an ipad. There’s already a few apps that support working with Expert Sleepers hardware (zMors, audulus). I guess you could technically just send out a “pulse track” with a recorded 16th note wav sample. I’ve done this with an MPC to clock modular. Some sort of small utility app would be great, especially an AU I could drop into AUM.

But, back to the topic at hand.... we need MIDI Clock. Please.

• edited August 2018

@CFF3 said:

@mixtrix said:

@CFF3 said:

There are numerous examples of apps syncing perfectly to Midi Clock without any drift, no matter how long you play. Take Gadget, FunkBox, DM1, GR-16, MoDrum, BassLine, LP-5, Genome for example, and if you're OK with "Clock send" only, Cubasis. I've tried all these with the elektron Digitakt, the Korg Electribe MX and the sequencer of a Roland XP workstation, they all work properly with low latency, and if I want to get really tight, I'll use a proper Audio and Midi interface over CCK3 (iTrack Dock, iConnect*, Zoom UAC-2 or UAC-8 etc.) because it will offer lower latency than the speaker or headphones output.
    Midi Clock also has the advantage of supporting arbitrary re-positioning of the playback position inside the whole song if needed, using "Song Position Pointer" messages, something unsupported by design in Ableton Link.
    The main difference is that Link is very flexible in dynamically adding Link members and let them play in sync "automagically", whereas with Midi Sync, there can only be one master and 1..n slaves.
    Flaky Clock Sync is usually caused by improper handling of Midi Clock Ticks inside the app, which can only be fixed by the respective app developer. I admit that processing MIDI events in realtime under iOS can be a little challenge ;)

• Yes, I want MIDI Clock too.
    I want sync from BeatMaker 3 to some hardwares.

• a million years and one update later still no midi clock, baffling

• Midi clock still wanted here... :(

• @DeanDaughters still wanted here, xmas compo coming up dude, you going for the double ?

• Not had much extra time lately. Been really pushing hard on some projects. :)
    We'll have to see, though... ;)

• Have been recording from external sequencers into Modstep with midi clock in recently, and am amazed at how reliable and accurate it is to work in this way. External devices handle start/stop and puts the notes down exactly where I want them. Would be great too see that in BM3

• Hi,
    I also needed midi clock. But in the meantime I've been using MidiLinkSync to sync ext hardware to my apps. Link works better than midi clock for the apps. And the midi clock that comes out is the smoothest I've ever seen.
    Awesome setup IMHO. Reliable.
    The author of MLS even recommends Link for the apps. And,if necessary, mls can do midi clock to link.

And thanks for the update intua!

• edited November 2018

Still needed here as well. I need to slave it to my hardware sequencer(s).

• edited November 2018

While midi clock is of course a good thing and looking forward to it I do find the current midi playback triggering is working rather well for me.

• edited November 2018

??

Midi Clock sync doesn't have anything to do with "current midi playback triggering"...

We are trying to sync BM3 with external hardware gear via midi clock.

Some people want to use it as a slave, some as a master - but no midi clock means we are forced to use an outside app (midi link sync or similar) and it does not start/stop with the hardware . Midi Clock would solve this.

:)

• edited November 2018

@DeanDaughters said:
    ??

Midi Clock sync doesn't have anything to do with "current midi playback triggering"...

We are trying to sync BM3 with external hardware gear via midi clock.

Some people want to use it as a slave, some as a master - but no midi clock means we are forced to use an outside app (midi link sync or similar) and it does not start/stop with the hardware . Midi Clock would solve this.

:)

BM3 does start/stop for me with midi clock. It does not have persistent sync but I can play for a long enough time without any noticeable drift.

I just mentioned it because a lot of people do not know that 'midi playback triggering' (via clock) does work currently. I can start/stop playback of BM3 via my PC daw or Circuit by sending midi clock, no need for an outside app like midi link sync. Yes, not ideal (as eventually live jammers would get drift) but a heck of a lot better than before when i did not know it even worked. For my few bars at a time loop/start/stop workflow it works fine.

Here I demonstrate it with Cubasis (but again my PC Daw and Circuit (aka external hardware) does this too, not just IAA)...