Multisamples, create an instrument for BM3

Hello,
I´m kinda new to BM3, I'll introduce myself and what I'm doing....
I´ve started traveling for a while (3 months ago) and I really needed a "portable" setup, so I got an op1, and ipad 2018 and a korg minilogue, and also a focusrite scarlett, that gear is always with me. I always used the computer to make music so I'm used to real "instruments" emulations, like the ones you can find on Reason's bass refill or some Kontakt stuff. I know those can be quite complex to program and map, but I'm not looking for the ultimate-realistic sampled instrument....some stuff using just 1 sample on the op1 sounds great. I want to create a P-bass, Jazz bass patch using the samples I've already have on my computer (samples from libraries, already at different velocities, etc), so the question is, What is the best approach to create instruments on BM3?

Comments

• Add the samples to the same layer on a single pad, and use the mappings page to map the samples accordingly, for notes and velocities. Is that what you’re getting at? I don’t want to go into a whole spiel about how that works in detail if I’m way off base or you already know how to do that. =)

• Open the sample mapper for a layer like @ronji suggests, then drag n drop the samples from the browser to the note you want, much the same as any desktop sampler.

• @ronji said:
    Add the samples to the same layer on a single pad, and use the mappings page to map the samples accordingly, for notes and velocities. Is that what you’re getting at? I don’t want to go into a whole spiel about how that works in detail if I’m way off base or you already know how to do that. =)

Thank you @ronji , I was kinda doing that. I´m currently trying to remap a F9 audio Ableton toolkit Bass preset, they sound really good so I wanted to remap them into BM.

I´m just curious how they made it. Check these two pictures, correct me if I´m wrong , but it seems the different samples are all mapped from 0 to 127?

• That mapping makes no sense, all the samples are listed in octaves but mapped over only one octave ?

• edited August 2018

This might help you get closer to what you're after? 🤗😁👊

• It is 5 octaves of samples @MSandoval and somebody has mapped them all to the same octave to "Phatten" it up, pretty pointless to be honest.

• edited August 2018

Ableton Live i assume from the poster referring to trying to remap ?

• Yes, it's Ableton.

• edited August 2018

Thanks everyone for their answers. @MSandoval thank you for the example
    So to see if I´m understanding correctly....I could just set this up like in Ableton....Even having the 5 samples per range mapped... just curious why from E1 to E5 the region seems to be longer compared the one that goes from G1 to G5. @DeanDaughters I´ll def check this video out!, I really want to get into this, and bring some stuff from my pc to BM

• @DeanDaughters thanks for the multi sample video dude! Very good masterclass!

• I haven't watched the video yet, but I would still definitely recommend checking out anything @DeanDaughters has posted to his YouTube channel! I'm also confused by those mappings in Ableton. I'll admit I never used that feature in Ableton and I'm still a novice in BM3, but it looks like E1-5 are all mapped to A0 thru E1, and G1-5 are mapped to F1 thru G1. Seems odd. You can map them the same odd way in BM3, but I don't think I would recommend it.

• @MSandoval quite interesting the layering done on this f9 audio toolkit, I will do some tests during the weekend and see what sounds better, I'll try to keep it simple tho

• That’s a lot of useful info, so thanks for that! But I did understand most of that before, regarding mapping a sample to lower or higher notes to be economical. What I do not understand is why they have what appears to be 5 different octaves of the same note mapped to the same short range within one octave. Those samples look like they could easily cover a range of 5 octaves or more, but they appear to be mapped to only a couple octaves. That’s the limit of what I can assume just by looking at the mapping screenshot. =)

• edited August 2018

Anyone have a real piano? I’d like to hear it and play it :smile:

• what the .....?

• @MSandoval your passion for sampling (and talking about it) is much appreciated :) And we love your shared banks too

• @tk32 said:
    @MSandoval your passion for sampling (and talking about it) is much appreciated :) And we love your shared banks too

Ditto, great explanation earlier too for the search engine ;)
    But i am with @ronji on the mapping in that image, im pretty sure its mapped wrong and should be multi octave.

• edited August 2018

There are several 'serviceable' pianos in the soundfont-loading Bismark BS-16i AUv3, which includes a grand, upright, bright, e-piano, organ, harpsichord etc..

It's about $7 to buy, works very stably in Beatmaker 3, and allows you access to the large library of homebrew SF2 soundfonts out there on the internet. Some of the orchestral ones you can download are over 1gb!!

https://itunes.apple.com/app/bismark-bs-16i/id388149926?mt=8

• Unfortunately no disk streaming. It appears the whole soundfont is loaded into RAM.

I've not had any issues with 3-4 instances of the default soundfont running in B3.

• edited August 2018

I've created the bass patch, followed the same type of mapping but only using 1 layer of the sample. Def something is going on, because my version sounds a bit more mechanic and not so natural. I will try adding the extra layers (4+ samples each layer) to see if it improves. Also I've noticed the sustain is very short on the original one, and there's a tiny bit of saturation and comp in the instrument patch