iPad 2018 v iPad pro (10.5"/13")

Hi,
I want to enter the beatmaker and iOS audio app world, but I need to get an iPad first. I was wondering if here is anyone which knows both models or have experience in this regard.

The iPad 2018 is really affordable so I would prefer it from a price point (I guess the 32gb version is enough when it's just for making music, or not?). But I'm wondering if it's better to get the iPad pro for general for iOS music apps and Beatmaker. Is 10.5" really a big benefit compared to 9.7"? Or is 13" light years ahead of both for that?

Comments

• Although not related to music making, but here’s an incredibly detailed argument on why to get the Pro https://paulstamatiou.com/made-on-an-ipad-pro/

• edited August 2018

Here's a little tidbit that may save you some money...

Doug Woods (from Youtube's thesoundtestroom) makes all his videos on an iPad Air2. The 2018 base iPad model is slightly faster than that.

If you can afford the pro models they are very nice, and will allow you to load more plugins at once, but you can still make plenty of good music with a basic model... or a mini.

• edited August 2018

Heres another tidbit for you, i carry a 64gb Mini 2 that is bent like a banana pretty much everywhere with me, and it is in a griffin defender touch case, so you cant even tell its bent, including the case and postage it cost me £70 off ebay, nearly all my videos where recorded on that, nearly all the forum sample resources were made and mapped on that.

At some point you just gotta stop shopping and use whatever crap you can ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    Heres another tidbit for you, i carry a 64gb Mini 2 that is bent like a banana pretty much everywhere with me, and it is in a griffin defender touch case, so you cant even tell its bent, including the case and postage it cost me £70 off ebay, nearly all my videos where recorded on that, nearly all the forum sample resources were made and mapped on that.

At some point you just gotta stop shopping and use whatever crap you can ;)

Hehe, wise advice. :) btw. to thing that 32gb will be enough for music proposes (I will not have photos or massive amount of videos on it)

• edited August 2018

32gb is plenty enough depending on how much money you are saving, one rule with iPad purchases, and its my only rule, getting the biggest storage you can afford, simply because Apple make it a pain in the yizzer to add more storage, it basically has to be cloud or wireless.

Now, having said that, B3 change the rules a little bit because of its cool direct integration of Dropbox, so if the difference in cost between a 32gb vs a 64gb is more than a 1tb subscription to Dropbox, personally i would be getting the 32gb and 1tb subscription, that much archiving and back up plus two way simple sharing with other pads and desktops, is way more tempting than an extra 32gb local storage.

• edited August 2018

Yeah the ipad 2018 32gb is around 300€ and the 128gb about 400€. So it's a real difference. I can't estimate the storage size because I never had an iPad before.

• 32 to 128 is a huge difference in size though, if you had the 128gb you are unlikely to struggle for space anytime soon, as long you do good housekeeping :)

• edited August 2018

Sure :), but it's 1/3 more money... for something were I'm not sure that I will ever need it. May I ask how much you need für your music duties (roughly)? How much für apps, how much for samples, how much for rendered audio?

• You are asking the wrong person, i am the housekeeping demon lol, hopefully others will chime in

• imho, 32gb is not enough storage. 64gb or 128gb is what I would suggest personally.
    It runs out faster than you think it will in my personal experience.
    :)

• edited August 2018

Yeah but you cooy samples with each save session dont you @DeanDaughters ?
    I dont struggle at all with 32gb

Different ways of working demand different things i guess.

• Like i say 32gb with a 1tb dropbox subscription is one hell of a lot of storage haha.

• You can get by with 32gb fine as long as you are prepared to monitor storage from time to time and delete unused apps or move things to the cloud once you stop needing them.

Larger storage buys you the luxury of not having to think about disk space, but unless you are downloading movies, installing massive games, or syncing a huge music library, there's no reason you can't keep things controlled under 32gb.

Dropbox is about £6.50/$9 a month for 1tb, and you can use it to keep all your samples and song exports/archives.

Also note, although it is not quite as conveniently integrated with Beatmaker, Google has just launched a new cloud storage service is the US which is even cheaper (Google One), and this will be available in other countries soon. This works via the iOS files app, so is also an option for keeping samples and song archives.

• Whats the cost on that Google One ?

• edited August 2018

Currently $2.99 for 200gb, or $9.99 for 2tb

We'll have to wait and see how that translates to GBP when it launches here in the next few weeks.

• it will be 1:1 so £10 a month.

• I have the Ipad 9.7 128gb (running BM2 and BM3) and an Ipad 3 (running BM2). I think the power is sufficient on lower models for making tunes to be honest. I still use my old Ipad and its fine although the OS is out of date lol.