Moving Files, Re-Naming and Creating New Folders in BM3 question

I have a question regarding file movement and the folder structure in BM3. So I want to do some LITE moving and rearranging of some samples into a few more succinctly named folders within the browser.
Am I correct in thinking that if don't change the file name of the samples/files and move them into a NEW folder will they then properly re-link with the samples/files in an older project that use those samples?

For example:
a File called 'Liquid Summer Loop.wav' might be in a folder called 'Audio Samples' but I want to move it into a more re-fined folder called 'Vinyl/70's Samples' or whatever. Will moving that file mess up an old project that uses that sample? If so, will BM3's automatic search/locate feature work to re-link the file?

And on that note, IF I were to change the file name would that also un-link it from said old project? I'm guessing so. Is there a proper procedure for doing this? If not , is there a workaround? ..i'm pretty good about naming samples on the regs i just have some straggler files that i''d like to clean up. And I feel like I've done this kind of moving of files before with no problems but just thought I'd check. Thanks everyone!

Comments

• Move anywhere you like, search will find it as long as no other file exists with the same name.
    Change the name and you will have to manually reload the sample, the easiest way to do a rename is to load the project, go to the sampler and resave out to the new location/name.

• Hey @BitterGums,

Make sure you backup / archive the project directory first, just in case, but as @5pinlink says, BM3 will try to find missing files if you renamed them.

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• Thanks @5pinlink ! Thanks @mathieugarcia !

5pin, got it...save from the sample window. The 3 dots up by the slice mode.. the 'Save Sample In' option. thx, I had a feeling beatmaker would be able to find the files...it's good like that.

mathieu, I've done a backup/archive before but it was backing up everything ...if i wanna back up the 'project directory' is that just the .bm3 file and all its associated files in the 'Sessions' folder? and making a ZIP archive?

• edited November 2018

For future reference, watch these

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6961/tutorial-video-good-housekeeping-1-sessions
    https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/7109/tutorial-video-good-housekeeping-2-samples

As for your current backing up, you need to make sure that you have every sample you have used saved, there are two ways to do this.
    1 Fast way but inevitably the less tidy way.
    Press save as and save the session, make sure you have "Copy all samples" ticked.
    2 Slow way but the better and much more tidy way (See vids above)
    Go through each individual sound file in your project and make sure that it is either in a well formed central library (See forum folder structure for example) or you have saved it to a sub folder in your session folder called samples.
    Note number 1 will use up more storage than number 2, because you create a lot of duplicates samples, but it will help if you need it done rapidly.
    Once you have done either of the above, you can then go ahead and zip up that session folder for archival purposes, again, watch the videos above and you will discover a whole new way of creating and using sessions that will change the way you work and give you a secondary layer of safety at all times :)

• @5pinlink said:
    For future reference, watch these

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6961/tutorial-video-good-housekeeping-1-sessions
    https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/7109/tutorial-video-good-housekeeping-2-samples

As for your current backing up, you need to make sure that you have every sample you have used saved, there are two ways to do this.
    1 Fast way but inevitably the less tidy way.
    Press save as and save the session, make sure you have "Copy all samples" ticked.
    2 Slow way but the better and much more tidy way (See vids above)
    Go through each individual sound file in your project and make sure that it is either in a well formed central library (See forum folder structure for example) or you have saved it to a sub folder in your session folder called samples.
    Note number 1 will use up more storage than number 2, because you create a lot of duplicates samples, but it will help if you need it done rapidly.
    Once you have done either of the above, you can then go ahead and zip up that session folder for archival purposes, again, watch the videos above and you will discover a whole new way of creating and using sessions that will change the way you work and give you a secondary layer of safety at all times :)

I enjoyed both these videos. Cheers.

• You're welcome :)

• Oh yes, i have watched those videos several times. I come back to the first one often and appreciated seeing the part 2 recently. In fact, watching the new one is what prompted my initial question. cheers

• If you get stuck with any of it, just ask, thats no problem ;)