I love this feature...

Comments

• edited November 2018

Not sure i entirely see the point, I couldnt use it to record pattern automation, which means it is just some kind of visual, if it is just a visual whats the point, you can only see it when you can see the automation, which is a better visual, but as it only works for track automation that is moot anyway.
    If it was placed on the left in the empty space next to the particular automations name, at least it would still be a useful visual when you had multiple lanes of automation.

Seems like a missed opportunity to do a real automation gain slider as in other DAWs though, so not too excited about it right now to be honest.

• edited November 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Not sure i entirely see the point, I couldnt use it to record pattern automation, which means it is just some kind of visual, if it is just a visual whats the point, you can only see it when you can see the automation, which is a better visual, but as it only works for track automation that is moot anyway.
    If it was placed on the left in the empty space next to the particular automations name, at least it would still be a useful visual when you had multiple lanes of automation.

Seems like a missed opportunity to do a real automation gain slider as in other DAWs though, so not too excited about it right now to be honest.

I use it for recording...

• edited November 2018

Just tried again, both pattern and track automation. records like a champ.

• All good in the wood...

• Nice. I never even tried it.

• Doesnt work for patterns here

• @5pinlink said:
    Doesnt work for patterns here

Utter whack! i will try on my mini2... (you are mini2ing right?)

• edited November 2018

As you can see, it neither records to pattern or track automation, it records somewhere, but to what, who knows ? (Possible it has recorded to track automation out of view, but that kind of shows another bug, why isnt the view centering on the selected pattern or selected automation) but yeah not recording to pattern for sure.

• Ahh right, to record automation to a pattern you need to select a pattern to loop ala something like...

• If you are playing simply via the timeline it should record to track automations.

• So yeah, it doesnt actually record where it is open then, so still pretty pointless in my eyes (personal opinion, nothing more)

• You're a hard man, but i get it.

• @5pinlink said:
    So yeah, it doesnt actually record where it is open then, so still pretty pointless in my eyes (personal opinion, nothing more)

Yah, I don't see how it isn't recording in pattern or track automation in your example. That is odd and unreproducible for me. If you have a chance to show the process from scratch and not just the aftermath I think that would help a lot. This seems to be a bug I cannot repro.

• So what is this feature exactly?

• Awesome ! Thanks @Audiogus ! I experimented with the fader when the update dropped but just assumed it was visual like @5pinlink. Good to know.

@GusGranite the new update gave us that colored fader in the bottom right to record automation. Whereas before we had to use the (strangely behaving) key point draw tools or record a knob/fader.

• edited November 2018

@Audiogus said:
    You're a hard man, but i get it.

Nah not so much really, I just like a unified feature set, some things should just be how they are in other DAWs, if nobody ever copied Cubase for instance, we would not have clips from left to right in arrangers.

For me this slider could have been a gain control as seen in other DAWs, so once you automation is recorded you could gain said automaion up or down on a unipolar control or down and up respectively on a bipolar control, instead of this crazed dancing about that it does, that does not mean that it would not record, a gain control records when you hit record too.
    Also for me it is a bug that if i have a particular automation view open (Be it track or pattern) and record with a gain slider in that view, it doesn't record to that view.
    It should record to the view it is in, that is plain common sense and good UX.
    Bouncy around dancey slider = No
    Non bouncy gain slider that records to the current open automation panel = Yes please, a lot

• @5pinlink said:

@Audiogus said:
    You're a hard man, but i get it.

Nah not so much really, I just like a unified feature set, some things should just be how they are in other DAWs, if nobody ever copied Cubase for instance, we would not have clips from left to right in arrangers.

For me this slider could have been a gain control as seen in other DAWs, so once you automation is recorded you could gain said automaion up or down on a unipolar control or down and up respectively on a bipolar control, instead of this crazed dancing about that it does, that does not mean that it would not record, a gain control records when you hit record too.
    Also for me it is a bug that if i have a particular automation view open (Be it track or pattern) and record with a gain slider in that view, it doesn't record to that view.
    It should record to the view it is in, that is plain common sense and good UX.
    Bouncy around dancey slider = No
    Non bouncy gain slider that records to the current open automation panel = Yes please, a lot

For me, all that makes sence, particularly from an instantly intuitive point of view. I think if the pattern view had a toggelable ‘update timeline pattern’ option of some sort where the currently displayed pattern updated depending on where you were in the timeline and what pattern you are on then certainly, the idea of recording automation on what you see would be much better.

As it is, at this point I know where it will record to easily enough so I can work within that.

Again though, could you do a quick video reproducing the steps for ‘automation records to nowhere’ bug that you are experiencing?

• edited November 2018

that video above is the full steps mate, i hit record, it records to nowhere, sometimes it records to the track automation though, but never the pattern unless as you say, use the old trick of select pattern in pattern helper.

• edited November 2018

There were steps before the video begins though. Like whether or not you initialy chose the volume parameter via the track automation pulldown or via pattern automation pulldown or was it from the mixer etc etc. It would be good to see a virgin clean scene, drag in a sample, do some automation etc. This video begins too far along for accurate repro steps.

• edited November 2018

Chosen from pattern automation, everything was done in pattern, that was my initial point, if its all in pattern, it should record in pattern.
    I'm sure it is just an oversight by the developers, but the "Not really a gain" aspect needs a rethink, those features are perfect for this control.

• edited November 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Chosen from pattern automation, everything was done in pattern, that was my initial point, if its all in pattern, it should record in pattern.
    I'm sure it is just an oversight by the developers, but the "Not really a gain" aspect needs a rethink, those features are perfect for this control.

You are experiencing a bug that I am not though. For me the current rules (albeit initialy somewhat less than intuitive) are...

1.) if a pattern is looping and I record automation it records as pattern automation
    2.) if no pattern is looping then the automation records to timeline

Here is a new video doing what I think you did, but notice it does obey the above two rules and is at least recorded to timeline automation.

How is it you get different results and automation recording seems nowhere to be found? My question is: What steps do I need to do to get the results you are getting?

• edited November 2018

Oh I think I get it now. Here is a shot from your video...

If you scrolled over to display the appropriate part of the Song when in Song view I think you would see your automation.

• edited November 2018

Weird, what the hell is happening between 0:11 and 0:12 in your video? It looks like opening track automation moves your display of the Song. Ahh. BM3 should recall the Song display range properly. Heh.

• Here is an example of the jumping song display...

• edited November 2018

Yeah all those things, i stated a few posts back haha :)
    Continuity of features is lacking a bit.

• edited November 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Yeah all those things, i stated a few posts back haha :)

But you were saying "As you can see, it neither records to pattern or track automation".

Looks like it was recording to track automation, just that the view was shifting on you and you didn't see it.

• @5pinlink said:

As you can see, it neither records to pattern or track automation, it records somewhere, but to what, who knows ? (Possible it has recorded to track automation out of view, but that kind of shows another bug, why isnt the view centering on the selected pattern or selected automation) but yeah not recording to pattern for sure.

Read it again lol

• edited November 2018

@5pinlink said:

@5pinlink said:

Read it again lol

Right, but you were pretty uncertain about it and it isn’t much of a mystery now. "Who knows?" I know! ;)

• I was uncertain because as stated, i can still get it to record to nowhere, you dont believe that, fine, i shall bow to your superior knowledge at this point ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    I was uncertain because as stated, i can still get it to record to nowhere, you dont believe that, fine, i shall bow to your superior knowledge at this point ;)

I am certainly not ruling it out. I just haven't been able to repro it myself or see it for 100% sure in a video. I am absolutely not saying it doesn't happen.