I love this feature...

2»

Comments

• I would love to see proof that the automation you recorded didn’t actually go to the timeline, @5pinlink, cuz that would be a big bug! I can kinda see why you'd want the pattern "activated" and looping in order to record automation into the pattern. Otherwise, you could be hearing notes from whatever pattern is under the play head while viewing another pattern placed later on in the timeline, so you aren’t even hearing the audio that would be coming from the pattern you’re viewing, and as such you can’t really make the most informed decision on the automation being recorded. I don’t even remember what this is like in a desktop DAW anymore. It’s still not the most intuitive implementation, but how should it be changed? Maybe it would just be enough to have automation items you could then move or copy to where you wanted it. In any case, I do appreciate the ability to move that automation fader tho.

• Ok i will try to record a video of some random bug to see if i can capture, it may take a while, i do pretend to have a life outside of Beatmaker, sometimes.

• Automation almost always gets recorded somewhere.
    ...except when it doesn't.

And with that profound statement I agree to do some of my own testing on this topic.

• This UX was extremely confusing for me as well.

It might make sense as ronji said to have the pattern looping before being able to record pattern automation. But I also agree with 5pinlink, recording something outside of the current view is surprising. The rules for how this slider thing works aren't obvious at all to newcomers, even though they're somewhat sane once you understand them.

To make things less confusing, I'd simply suggest that the slider doesn't show up when the pattern automation pane is open but no pattern is selected. Why would anyone ever want to record track automation while on the pattern automation?

• edited November 2018

@blueveek said:
    This UX was extremely confusing for me as well.

It might make sense as ronji said to have the pattern looping before being able to record pattern automation. But I also agree with 5pinlink, recording something outside of the current view is surprising. The rules for how this slider thing works aren't obvious at all to newcomers, even though they're somewhat sane once you understand them.

To make things less confusing, I'd simply suggest that the slider doesn't show up when the pattern automation pane is open but no pattern is selected. Why would anyone ever want to record track automation while on the pattern automation?

I would to see the notes. I don't know. It is not perfect, particularly for newbs but I use such crazy 'weird rulez' homebrew level software at work that I am used to a learn it and use it as best you can kind of ethic.

• @Audiogus said:

I would to see the notes. I don't know. It is not perfect, particularly for newbs but I use such crazy 'weird rulez' homebrew level software at work that I am used to a learn it and use it as best you can kind of ethic.

So then what you probably want instead is being able to open track automation while in the "pattern view".

• @blueveek said:

@Audiogus said:

So then what you probably want instead is being able to open track automation while in the "pattern view".

I don't want/need it and that would be pretty low priority for me but it sounds like an improvement. I am actually fine with automation generally speaking now that AUs do not crash like crazy but I would far rather this bug be fixed first where automation ranges get goofy...

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6677/automation-value-range-gets-messed-up#latest

...or that splitting / merging clips with automation were fixed...

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/7164/splitting-patterns-breaks-pattern-automation-placement-merging-patterns-deletes-all-automation#latest

• Yeah, I agree, as far as prioritisation goes, the above bugs are definitely more important.

It'd be nice if Intua focused on onboarding as well, I bet too many people are put down by their fist encounter with BM. In this day and age, you gotta respect the principle of least surprise in software.

• edited November 2018

Took nearly a day to capture on video, it's a refresh issue, happens now and then (FYI I am never mentioning an issue in this forum again)

• Dude thanks so much for getting that on video @5pinlink. It will be nice when we’re completely rid of these damn refresh bugs. That video will hopefully help someone else experiencing frustrations recording automation

• Your name was being burned on an effigy at the 8 hour or so mark lol.
    Not having huge space for continually recording until you get a crash is a terror with intermitent/random faults.

• @5pinlink :joy: hahaha sorry about that man. I honestly didn't expect you to toil away without break! I admire your dedication, even though you moaned about it every chance you got! =) I haven't had much time to test bugs and whatnot myself lately, or I woulda helped out

• Oh i haven't finished moaning yet.