Christmas Battle 2018: The Festive Smörgåsbord (ends 18 Dec) - Charity pot: $285

edited December 2018 in BeatMakers Showcase

Calling all beat-battlers and lurkers - it's time to to stop noodling and get your festive groove on!

This month's beat battle is called..

The Festive Smörgåsbord

The theme for this battle is:
ANYTHING CHRISTMAS RELATED

Some ideas to get you started...

• Chiptune Christmas Carols
  • Original compositions (christmas-themed, obviously)
  • A famous Christmas song remix/mashup
  • Black Friday throwdown (you can only use plugins purchased in Nov '18)

Essential rules:

• Built with Beatmaker 3.x
    external mastering allowed
  • Submitted by the deadline, TUESDAY 18 DECEMBER
  • Post your entry/entries by posting a dropbox link (in this thread) and Santa's elves will magically put it onto the forum Soundcloud

DEADLINE: TUESDAY 18 DECEMBER

this battle is free to enter

PRIZES

...for the winner:

1. A code from @brambos which can redeemed for any one of his plugins, including the brand new and totally excellent Noir
  2. A code for any of the fantastic Woodman effects (Woodpressor, Woodgate, Woodulate)
  3. A code for the excllent DJ Player Essentials app (Many thanks to Gabor Szanto!)

...for the winner's nominated charity:

charity pot total: $285

Our grizzly cold-hearted forum grinch, Mr @5pinlink, has put up $50 of his own cash to start a charity fund. The winner of the battle gets to pick the charity it gets donated to.

If you'd like to contribute to the charity pot (this is completely optional), you can either PM your donation amount directly to 5pin or post it here in this thread, and we will arrange a paypal account to receive moneys after voting ends.

Note - 5pin has as much integrity as he has vocabulary of foul words — so I can personally vouch for the safety of any donations we send him.

Comments

• 🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅🎄🎅

• Bonus points for anybody who mashes this !!

• edited November 2018

I've just added $25 to the virtual charity pot

...which I've just realised makes me both half as generous / twice as miserly as 5pin.

• FYI just so there is no confusion, you DONT have to donate to enter the battle ;)

• That absolute spiffing old bean @brambos is only at it again, a code to one of his plugins for the winner !!!!!!

• Super excite for this =)

• Olla folks, I would like to donate another $25 to the charity pot, to bring the total to $100. Good luck everyone entering (hope to find some free time to contribute a track myself as well).

• Thanks for the donation @huphtur - and another of your entries would just be the icing on the cake.

If you win you can send the money to that charity for folically-challenged Dutch expats.. FoL-DuP

• I’m adding $25 to the charity pot!

• Thanks @ronji total updated

• OK, i'm just gonna say wow, add $100 to the total @tk32
    That's from a single extremely generous anonymous donator in the Discord chat !!!!!!!

• edited November 2018

Holy shit..

Thanks Mx. Anonymous

I just hope everyone who is as generous with their musical submissions!

• Prize list updated.

In addition to the Brambos code, the winner also gets a code for one of the excellent Wood- plugins (Woodpressor, etc)

• Thanks for the donation @GusGranite

Our charity pot total is now $250!!

• Gabor Szanto is giving a code again this year for his awesome (best on IOS by a long long way) DJ software DJ Player Essentials, really really generous again !!!!

• A little over a week left!!!!!

• Yes! Hope everyone's entries are coming along nicely!!

• How are we posting this rime around?

• edited December 2018

We are keeping it simple. You simply post your track here in this thread, preferably as close to the last day of the deadline as possible.

Your choices are:

• Dropbox
    • Soundcloud
    • YouTube
    • Other streaming embed
    • Other cloud storage

Wherever possible - and if a download link is provided - 5pin and/or I will post as many of the entries up onto our dedicated forum Soundcloud.

• 4 more days to go!!!

I'm really looking forward to hearing everybody's entries!

• edited December 2018

Made this X-MAS beat on BM2:

• Is the dropbox preview player really compressed or something?
    Thos sounds eorse than a 64kb MP3 when i preview, its nearly all artifact :(

• Yeah it was the preview, dropbox previewer sucks !!!

Is this B3 ?
    The drums are way too over compressed and the vocal isn't limited enough and could do with s few EQ tweaks (Mixed a lot of this stuff lol) but this is awesome, big showcase for B3 as a linear DAW, any details on how you recorded this, live drums or plugin etc.

• @5pinlink said:
    Yeah it was the preview, dropbox previewer sucks !!!

Is this B3 ?
    The drums are way too over compressed and the vocal isn't limited enough and could do with s few EQ tweaks (Mixed a lot of this stuff lol) but this is awesome, big showcase for B3 as a linear DAW, any details on how you recorded this, live drums or plugin etc.

I apologize in advance for my English. Recording and mixing in Beatmaker 3. The vocals were recording in old DBX 286 with weak compression and equalization. First voice is recorded in double, each is processed by stock equalizer and compressor. Slightly added rever. Mixed in stereo pair. Five second voices are divorced in panorama and mixed into two stereo mixes. One for clear voices and other for harsh. Guitars recorded in Amplitube. Drums are midi, samples are collected from everywhere. There was sample live Tama kick, snares drum are three samples Easy Drummer, cymbals and toms are from Beathawk. There is a lot of stock equalization and compression on all separately and bit of reverb (the same as on vocals). Mixed in stereo pair. Lot of compression has been added to this drum mix. Main difficulty for me was lack of sub mixes, I often had to do intermediate ping pong mixing. On the other hand, I'm not sure that my IPad could handle all this intermediate mixes. The final mix was bit of equalizer and FAC Maxima.

• Amazing stuff, and yes, your mix will be much easier to achieve results when we have sub mixing (Groups/Foldering/Buses)

• Really enjoyed the tracks @fever404 and @Slava21. I will be dropping mine soon.