I've got a session that I explicitly saved lost. How?!?!?!

Glad I have an autosave which is close.
How such things even possible?
Can someone explain?
Did anybody lose the session that they saved?

Comments

• Can you remember what you did when you last saved it?

Did you force quite immediately after pressing save?

• As far as I remember, yes I did quit Beatmaker. The thing that comes to mind that my battery went flat , but it was SEVERAL!!! , (not one ) saves after the session that I left with.

• Instead there was an earlier state of the session in it.
    Glad I have an autosave which is close.
    How such things even possible?
    Can someone explain?
    Did anybody lose the session that they saved?

• edited January 2019

Merged, you cant keep spamming the forum with the exact same topic, this is now the third one.

Again, you probably forced quit the app while you were saving, this is the only known way (up to now) that a saved session file gets deleted, and that is user error, not the apps fault.
    A save indicator bar could be useful to stop this i think.

If that isn't the case, you need to take your pad to a genius bar for a storage test, it may be failing.

• Please merge it in the bug report section with a poll retained. It's a very important issue. Thank you.

• I don't know what is a genius bar?

• And next time you merge something please at least comment. I just saw my thread lost.
    Thank you.

• edited January 2019

Genius bar: Apple repair and support

Only geniuses go there, right?

(Sounds like an oxymoron to me ;) )

• 1 it isnt a bug if there was no crash, if a saved session has gone missing, it is either user error via forced quit or the iPad storage is failing, if there was a crash involved while saving, we have had one other report of that, but you didnt mention a crash at all.

2 it does not need a poll, if people want to comment that it has happened to them, they can, that is way more useful.

• vovvov
    edited January 2019

If you think that a lost session isn't a bug , and bug is only when a crash occurs than I'm sorry but I doubt that you are competent enough in that matters and have to ask you once again to move the thread.

• @vov

There are lots of users on this forum who use BM3 for hours every day. If there was a genuine bug that caused sessions to disappear (and not just user error) I’m 99.9999% we would have discovered, documented, video’d, reported, and even fixed it by now

• By that logic you can deny information about any major bug.
    So why bother with a bug report section, right ?

• edited January 2019

By all means report a suspected bug, and see if anyone else has had similar experiences.

...but don’t post it separately 3 times and make it into a poll.

The only other documented case of sessions disappearing is due to force quit happening before the save completed. That’s what my money is on right now.

• edited January 2019

I am confused about the fact that you say several sessions are missing though. I would expect it to only affect the one you last saved.

As 5pin mentioned, it could even be hardware related - have you had any issues in other apps?

Ps. Never let your battery go below 5% when working on important stuff. It’s too risky

• And if you read what I wrote , the session file was there but the information in it represented auto-save, and ignored a few saves I did.

• vovvov
    edited January 2019

1.I reported it , but it was moved into the support instead.
    2.Not several sessions, but several states of one session, which I did save.
    3.Yes, it could be hardware related, or anything else for that matter. But how do I know if when I try to ask others through a poll it's being deleted by mods.
    4.Battery or not , if I pushed the save, and not right before it quit by the way, I expect it to be there.

• If there are large audio files that need to be saved into the session folder it can take longer to finish saving.

Did you tick the box ‘save samples with session’ ?

We are genuinely trying to help you, btw

• vovvov
    edited January 2019

I saved a session a few times, over a period of more than an hour. Is that enough time?

• edited January 2019

1 it is in support because it is not confirmed as a bug.
    2 polls are not used for bug reports, it is nonsense.
    3 this is either
    User error (forced quit)
    Crash while saving (bug)
    Storage failure (hardware)

My competence aside, the above is all true.
    As i said, a save indicator bar could be a useful request, the bug during crashing needs fixing, get your hardware tested, that is all the possible fixes.

• Could it just wrote autosave into a saved session on crashing? Is there such a possibility?

• edited January 2019

No, a saved file is only ever saved when you hit save, everything else gets saved in to the autosave file seperately, are you 100% certain you were using a full save and not an autosave (not trying to be patronising, just exploring all avenues)

• How could I use autosave? Isn't it supposed to be auto... matic?

• edited January 2019

Yeah it is auto, it auto saves just to the autosaved session file, never to the actually saved file, so even if it crashes during an autosave, that wont acciddntally renove a full save, just an autosaved save file.
    Autosave files will have (auto-save) appended to the file name.

Can i suggest you watch my good houeskeeping for sessions video, it gives you a clever way to avoid a ton of issues going forward.

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6961/tutorial-video-good-housekeeping-1-sessions

• @tk32 said:
    Genius bar: Apple repair and support

Only geniuses go there, right?

(Sounds like an oxymoron to me ;) )

That made me laugh tooooo funny but true - :-)

• Kind of a related question that i've wondered about...
    Say you've been working in Beatmaker3 for a couple hours on a single session. Then you have to close for whatever reason..everything's been saved and you quit. Upon opening BM3 again you're prompted with the option of selecting 3 sessions...it almost always lists:
    'Great song'
    'Great song' [autosave]
    'Great song'

...any idea what the difference is between 1 and 3? Is 1 the most recent? Is 3 the most recent? Is 3 the last saved version before AutoSave kicked in? Always been curious.

• edited January 2019

I think that list literally shows the last 3 projects either opened or saved, and in your example #1 and #3 would open the same file.

Ps. my advice is to never open and continue working on any of the autosave versions - unless you really know what you’re doing and are trying to recover lost work after a crash. If you do open an autosave, I recommend immediately saving it out as a new version of the track, eg “Great song (recovered)”

• My advice is to never ever open a project from that horrid splash screen, it should be modified to take you to the location of said file, not load it, as you have seen, two projects, same name, wtf, take me to my projects folder, i will load what I want.

• Cool thanks dudes. Yeah in my experience #1 and #3 have opened the same version of the session but I wasn't 100% sure.
    I agree, I've learned to stay away from opening anything from there in general, much less the Autosave stuff. The autosave has saved my ass in a pinch in earlier days but not used it in a while. And def always saved as a new file right away.
    That's a good idea, 5pin, having it route you to the actual location of the projects. in the meantime... thank god/intua for the 'open session' and 'new session' options .

• edited January 2019

I'm not naming any names... but some other iOS DAWs automatically load the previous project on launch — without even asking!

Can you imagine how annoying that would be!

:p