Does anyone know how to use/assign the roll feature (1/16,1/32) with the akai mpk mini thumbstick?

edited January 2019 in Support

I just bought the Akai MPK mini 2 and it has a thumb stick that many people use to create the roll feature usually hihats sounds use this at 1/16 and/or 1/32. I looked and I don’t see where to assign the stick to do the “roll”. The stick by default controls the wheels section - Mod / Pitch
Can this be done with any midi keyboard? I send back my Nektar Impact so I can’t test it on another keyboard.

This link youtube.com/watch?v=k9O0wuZI6u8&t=4m12s
Sends you straight to the point of the video to show you what I mean.

Comments

• I figured out how to use it with the keyboard keys. I turned on the arpeggiator. When you press a key and then let go it will play at a speed ie 1/16 you hold down the on/off button for arpeggiator and select what speed you want ie 1/8, 1/16T etc

• This method is ok but I’ve realized I have to try a few times to get the hihat to repeat. Also when I do the hihat rolls when I play the recording back it does not register the rolls. It plays it straight through

• edited January 2019

I'd love to help you out @aeropg - but none of my midi controllers have joysticks.

To be honest, this is one area where the iPad's touchscreen really shines, because I am able to record amazing hihat patterns using the built-in note repeat slider touchpad. Unfortunately none of these 'performance modifiers' can be mapped to external controls

• @tk32 said:
    I'd love to help you out @aeropg - but none of my midi controllers have joysticks.

To be honest, this is one area where the iPad's touchscreen really shines, because I am able to record amazing hihat patterns using the built-in note repeat slider touchpad. Unfortunately none of these 'performance modifiers' can be mapped to external controls

Which midi controllers do you own?
    I bought this for that feature but you are right the touchscreen method is nice and simple. I might return this midi controller. I am looking for one that plays nice with beatmaker. My last controller keys didn’t work well with bm3

• edited January 2019

I have a small Korg Nanokey Studio (bluetooth) for using when away from home, and a Korg Microkey Air 61 (also Bluetooth) for using at home.

You can probably tell I don't like unnecessary wires :)

• @tk32 said:
    I have a small Korg Nanokey Studio (bluetooth) for using when away from home, and a Korg Microkey Air 61 (also Bluetooth) for using at home.

You can probably tell I don't like unnecessary wires :)

How’s the korg microkey air? I was going to get the 25 key version. But I am currently leaning towards the cme xkey air 25

• Depends how much travel you like in your keys, I guess.

The CME is nice, and easy to stick in your bag, but I wanted something that stays at home, so I went for the 61-key Microkey.

Arguably, I didn't need Bluetooth if it always stays at home, but what the hell :)

• @tk32 said:
    Depends how much travel you like in your keys, I guess.

The CME is nice, and easy to stick in your bag, but I wanted something that stays at home, so I went for the 61-key Microkey.

Arguably, I didn't need Bluetooth if it always stays at home, but what the hell :)

True I’m in the same boat. But I like the look of the CME and it has normal sized piano keys vs the Akai mpk which has small keys plus knobs and pads.

• Try to see them up close if you can. The feel and size of the keys can really affect the decision you make.

• I’ve decided on the cme xkey air 25 (Bluetooth) or the 37 key wired. I love the idea of no wires but I am only playing at my home. The 37 is still small enough to travel if ever needed, But wireless is so cool lol