edited April 2019 in Feature Requests

Thanks!

Comments

• YAS! And velocity :)

• @hansjbs said:

@mathieugarcia said:
    +1

+2

+1000 and also real-time adjustment of loop parameters which as I've understood it would require some re-writing of the built-in audio engine or something...

Heck, just copy the way the Digitakt handles samples. Add a 'sample pool' to the session and let each pad/instrument access any sample in the pool. (And then use the step-modulator to chain 'pool samples' to create wave-sequences, re-arrange slices etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.).

But most of all fix the 'issues' that the lemon 3.0.12 update brought with it like for some strange reason input-monitoring gets disabled when recording samples...

To be totally honest after the input monitoring (among other things) got 'broken' in 3.0.12 I've not been using BM3 as much as I would have liked to...

• edited September 2019

This would be a lovely feature to have, but I suspect it may not be feasible because I assume it would only work on samples stored entirely in RAM, which means BM3's ability to load long audio into the sampler and stream from disk would have to be disabled.

Thoughts @samu ?

• edited September 2019

@tk32 said:
    This would be a lovely feature to have, but I suspect it may not be feasible because I assume it would only work on samples stored entirely in RAM, which means BM3's ability to load long audio into the sampler and stream from disk would have to be disabled.

Thoughts @samu ?

This was something I requested almost the same day I got an opportunity to beta BM3 before it was released...
    (Ie. Velocity -> % of Sample Start).

Apparently the BM3 engine is not so well suited for realtime manipulation of start, end and loop start & end which can easily be noticed when changing the start, end & loop settings in the sample editor.

They are not 'real time' but rather set when triggering the sound.

Depending on how the engine handles files/samples the file really doesn't need to be in RAM just open for access(ie. 'seek in the open file'). Most DAWs access the files at different start points all the time (for example in Cubasis you have the option to select which part of the file to use which in practice is the same as start & end).

Sample start should be easy to handle since 'sliced' pads as an example just access the same file at different start & end points and work quite well even with disk streaming turned on.

I do feel that any 'modern' sampler should allow realtime manipulation of Sample Start & End as well as Loop Start&End/Length.

Preferably the Loop end could be handled with 'Loop Length' since it would save a lot when automating parameters (ie. Just adjust either loop start or loop length or both).

The Loop Length could also have an option to 'wrap around' to continue from the start of the sample or 'snap to the end of sample' for creative usage especially when using single cycle waves.

But yeah, Ableton Simpler and Renoise (especilly 3.2 now that it got Time Stretching) are a superb inspirations on what kind of features to expect from a somewhat modern sampler.

While almost infinite splits and layers are 'nice to have' I personally value more realtime manipulation.

Here's a clip from Renoise 3.2 and abusing time-stretching while modifying the sample that is playing by drawing on it :)

(My 'connection' to Renoise is that I was bart of the beta-team long, long time ago when the Mac version was in the works and well I'm an old-school tracker junkie to boot).

Looking forward to what's cooking with BM3.

• +1 More & More I’m wishing sampler functions like that could be mapped to the macros or the mod matrix.