Bank MIDI tricks

This discussion was created from comments split from: Beatmaker 3: Tips - Tricks - & Secrets.

Comments

• One 'creative' trick in a performative sense that I've been using in a bank that I'm currently working on is to have pads 2-16 assigned to samples (or notes) and pad 1 to an inverted sustain pedal CC. I set the bank settings to listen to all channels on that port and set each pad individually to listen to channel one on the bank's port. As the samples have a slow decay and no zero sustain, they'll ring out until they either die naturally, they're choked by another note (I have them assigned to choke groups on pads 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16) or when I tap the 'sustaining' pad. Then.. if I hold that pad down with my thumb while jamming on the pads, I get a really cool pitched percussive sound with short decay!

The 16 MIDI channel configuration is kind of a fucky, workaround sort of deal, but until each pad can respond to different MIDI notes on the same channel, it's a workable (while limiting - all channels on that port are occupied by one bank).

I'm also using the modulation wheel as a 'latched' pitchbend on only specific pads by assigning it in the modulations. Very cool for performance. This instrument is emulating the overtones of a modified electric bass instrument I use which has a retuner on one string. This allows me have the mod wheel retune the pads relating to the overtones of that string (13-16) in the same way that the retuner would move all the overtones of that string when moved.

Kind of specific stuff, but it might give some insight into how to build 'performative' instruments on the pads which have their own unique feel. I'll post examples soon!

• Hello Guys
    Can someone tell me how to to assign an action to the modulation wheel ?
    Is it connected to the modulation page of the sampler ?
    thanks +++ for your answers !

• @fadthefad said:
    Hello Guys
    Can someone tell me how to to assign an action to the modulation wheel ?
    Is it connected to the modulation page of the sampler ?
    thanks +++ for your answers !

I’ve replied in your other post. You didn’t need to post twice ;)

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/7985/modulation-wheel

• @OscarSouth said:
    One 'creative' trick in a performative sense that I've been using in a bank that I'm currently working on is to have pads 2-16 assigned to samples (or notes) and pad 1 to an inverted sustain pedal CC. I set the bank settings to listen to all channels on that port and set each pad individually to listen to channel one on the bank's port. As the samples have a slow decay and no zero sustain, they'll ring out until they either die naturally, they're choked by another note (I have them assigned to choke groups on pads 1-4, 5-8, 9-12, 13-16) or when I tap the 'sustaining' pad. Then.. if I hold that pad down with my thumb while jamming on the pads, I get a really cool pitched percussive sound with short decay!

The 16 MIDI channel configuration is kind of a fucky, workaround sort of deal, but until each pad can respond to different MIDI notes on the same channel, it's a workable (while limiting - all channels on that port are occupied by one bank).

I'm also using the modulation wheel as a 'latched' pitchbend on only specific pads by assigning it in the modulations. Very cool for performance. This instrument is emulating the overtones of a modified electric bass instrument I use which has a retuner on one string. This allows me have the mod wheel retune the pads relating to the overtones of that string (13-16) in the same way that the retuner would move all the overtones of that string when moved.

Kind of specific stuff, but it might give some insight into how to build 'performative' instruments on the pads which have their own unique feel. I'll post examples

Looks interesting. A video on this would be
    In the mean time, could you explain how to assign the inverted sustain CC to the pad?
    Thanks