BM3 Battle #07 - BANK💢BANK💢 (Deadline March 31st for banks, 14th April for songs)

My favorite idea from last battle discussion thread was to have everyone participate contribute a sample to the pack. But why not step it up from a simple crate dig to something even more creative and collaborative?!

Taking inspiration from the resources @5pinlink shared for the jungle contest, everyone who is participating in BANK BANK will contribute a bank to the "sample pack." If you are lazy that can be one sample, whatever is clever.

To give everyone time to participate, banks are due in this thread by March 31. I'll update the thread with download links to everything submitted to make the pack official. Then we will have 2 weeks to make beats... Those will be due April 14th.

No genre restriction or direction on the beats but keep it between 1-3 minutes (worked sell for SpaceX and junglist battles). After the sample pack is created, no more outside sound sources (samples, virtual instruments, or apps). Don't include AUv3 FX in your bank in case someone hasn't purchased the thing, but when we get to beats you can slather 'em on.

Let's goooooooooooo!

APRIL 01 UPDATE:

The banks below are everything submitted, mangle-wrangle these sounds into your compo creations! If you've already posted demo tracks for the banks, make your compo track something new so that everyone is working in the same 2 week frame. More than enough time IMHO since I've been busting out weeklybeats ;)

Everyone can partcipate, even if they didn't provide a bank for the sample pack. Shouts out to @tk32 @d4d0ug @denx @DeanDaughters @5pinlink @GusGranite for fueling this compo with their unique sounds! All winners in my book ;)

My preference is that you post your track on April 14th so that everyone is surprised and gets to listen to everything all at once on the 15th, but if you post a track any time in between now and then it will be included in the vote pack.

Good luck and have fun!


@tk32

tk32 - Melted Crates (BM3 Bank)
Download (8.23mb, zipped)

Bank contains:

  • 2 x melodic pads (orange)
  • 2 x sliced drum loops (green)
  • 2 x drum fills (blue)
  • 1 x sliced voice sample (purple)
  • 5 x extra percussion hits (yellow/red/grey)

Notes: I've added various built-in FX which can be tweaked or removed according to taste, and I've stored 3 patterns used for my demo inside the bank just in case you want to see how I made it ;)


@d4d0ug

D4DG - bbrpsntzks

Here ya go, a bank of hits and weirdness made by messing with and resampling various AU plugins. Only a little MVERB and no other effects.


@staRpauSe

gr16a70 (no fx) - 9mb sampled from the gr16 groovebox app. that thing is great for getting a full set of sounds from really quickly. drums and synths.

GR-16 (Dancing Rocker - 6mb) No Fx different drums and synth but same idea as above 🙃 for the synths i tend to do a quick tap on the synth as one sample then a 2nd sample that is the synth held down so that sustained notes can be played, but didn't bother with looping any of them

iOTA ESL (B,C,D & 170BPM timestretches) - 17mb voxels from a student practicing her pronounciation & timestretched versions that got used in my dnb battle entry (thanks to @5pinlink for cleanup and file size reduction!)

minicali (no fx) - 3mb drum kit pack i used on my electro battle entry here

Neckst Baest (126BPM Alpaca) - 6mb vocal samples i made for my electro battle entry 😈 this is uncessarily huge because there's 4 copies of the sample in the folder... one got made every time i did a sample edit, but when i trimmed the sample in edit more it didn't make the sample size any smaller on disk. i don't know if this is by design or i just don't know what i'm doing. (thanks to @5pinlink for cleanup and file size reduction!)

typical reporter (no fx) - 8mb chinese reporter anouncing the results of the "election" that got used in Mechanical Path weeklybeat

chiptune kawai k1 single cycles - 1mb

classyq kawai k1r free - 6mb


@denx

toystoys - 1mb

And a little bank with some samples from my kids toys. I seem to have lost my microphone somewhere, so I had to use my phone instead. Tried to clean ‘m up 😊


@DeanDaughters (you're in ;) )

Here is a melodic patch I just made: [Pin Code - 8mb](https://www.dropbox.com/s/mrhf8m1hp4fhq1u/Pin Code.zip?dl=0)


@ronji

Here’s my bank =) warning, it’s a bit weird: [otamatonez - 12mb ] https://www.dropbox.com/s/yq6goat0nlf7f8v/otamatonez.zip?dl=0


@5pinlink

Synth 02 is uploaded. 16 presets. While strictly speaking i'm not actually entering the competition, these where done for the competition.

https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/6502/synth-02-instruments-misc#latest

(since Synth 01 was made in the compo time frame you can use those too)


@GusGranite

I went digging for you lovely people. All fresh cuts that I hope have never been sampled before :wink: I even found one that sounds like Busta Rhymes ‘Got You All In Check’ from another universe. Enjoy.

GusBankBank - 24mb


Tagged:
«13456

Comments

  • Great.

    Probably worth mentioning that submitted banks should only use the built-in BM3 effects, or no perhaps no effects at all? (Your choice)

  • @tk32 said:
    Great.

    Probably worth mentioning that submitted banks should only use the built-in BM3 effects, or no perhaps no effects at all? (Your choice)

    I'm cool with letting people go crazy on effects. One thought is that if people ddon' bake too much FX into their samples the banks for the pack will be more versatile... But sound is sound, can always be further mangled ;)

  • Agreed. In that case, we should just avoid using AUv3 effects in the banks, in case other users don't have them purchased/installed.

    I'm gonna start making mine tonight...

  • If someone doesn't submit for the bank pack, does that mean they can't participate in the beat phase? I'm trying to decide what I want to sample. Any restrictions on the banks as far as how they're created? If we're only using sounds from the submitted banks, then should we try and coordinate that someone makes a synth bank and someone make a bass bank, etc? I'm looking forward to any odd found sounds that get submitted in here, but I think melodic sounds are important as well. I might sample my otamatone.

  • I'm assuming we can pick and choose which of the submitted banks we use, and add as many extra samples, synths and drums as we want?

    The idea is to get inspiration from the submitted banks, right?

  • @tk32 said:
    I'm assuming we can pick and choose which of the submitted banks we use, and add as many extra samples, synths and drums as we want?

    The idea is to get inspiration from the submitted banks, right?

    From the first post: “After the sample pack is created, no more outside sound sources (samples, virtual instruments, or apps). AUv3 FX can fly.“

    So that’s what I was going from. Definitely need to clarify =) I’d be fine either way but we might want to coordinate if we’re all limited to the sounds from the banks.

  • edited March 2018

    Thanks @ronji

    Looks like @starpause edited the first post to add clarification just before I posted my question

    Lets just hope we don't all do drum banks ;)

  • I will make sure you have a generalist bank, few basses, few leads etc ;)

  • Will have a crack at this. My awe of drum & bass programming scared me off the last competition :wink:

  • @5pinlink said:
    I will make sure you have a generalist bank, few basses, few leads etc ;)

    the man!

    @tk32 said:
    Thanks @ronji

    Looks like @starpause edited the first post to add clarification just before I posted my question

    Lets just hope we don't all do drum banks ;)

    can always make melotic instruments out of oscilator sized samples that were in a drum hit

    @ronji said:
    If someone doesn't submit for the bank pack, does that mean they can't participate in the beat phase? I'm trying to decide what I want to sample. Any restrictions on the banks as far as how they're created? If we're only using sounds from the submitted banks, then should we try and coordinate that someone makes a synth bank and someone make a bass bank, etc? I'm looking forward to any odd found sounds that get submitted in here, but I think melodic sounds are important as well. I might sample my otamatone.

    not going to be a hard ass and stop someone from making a beat because they weren't around for the bank making. but if you're reading this, make a bank 🤠🏹

    no restrictions on how a bank is created! like your thinking of getting weird with otamatone!> @tk32 said:

    Agreed. In that case, we should just avoid using AUv3 effects in the banks, in case other users don't have them purchased/installed.

    i'm such a n00b i didn't even think of that... yeah, no AUv3 effects in the banks! updating the first post

  • I have a feeling this battle is gonna be interesting.

    @starpause assuming we get approx. 10+ banks submitted over the next fortnight, will we get to choose which ones we use?

    Wish I could get started on the track earlier - perhaps we'll get some early bank submissions (like my one perhaps).. and we can make a start with those?

  • @tk32 said:
    @starpause assuming we get approx. 10+ banks submitted over the next fortnight, will we get to choose which ones we use?

    yeah, pick and choose from anything submitted as a bank

    Wish I could get started on the track earlier - perhaps we'll get some early bank submissions (like my one perhaps).. and we can make a start with those?

    hmm, i was thinking about this, maybe WIP tracks should be limited to a single bank? so that they are bank demos like get done up for the official sample packs 😂and people know what they're downloading

  • edited March 2018

    Bank demos sound like a cool idea :)

    It also encourages us to build more diverse banks that have both melodic and rhythmic content

  • Cool brief :) Will try to throw a bank in later this week.

  • edited March 2018

    OK.. so here's my bank...

    tk32 - Melted Crates (BM3 Bank)
    Download (8.23mb, zipped)

    Bank demo #1:

    Bank demo #2:

    Bank contains:

    • 2 x melodic pads (orange)
    • 2 x sliced drum loops (green)
    • 2 x drum fills (blue)
    • 1 x sliced voice sample (purple)
    • 5 x extra percussion hits (yellow/red/grey)

    Notes:
    I've added various built-in FX which can be tweaked or removed according to taste, and I've stored 3 patterns used for my demo (above) inside the bank just in case you want to see how I made it ;)

  • Off to a great start!

  • ...and whilst we all wait for the other banks to appear, if anyone wants a mini challenge you are welcome to download my bank and have a go at making an alternative demo (just for fun) :)

  • Nice one @tk32 the bank and demo sounds good :)

    Just started making a bank and had isem plus fx on pad 1...went to keys view and sampled a C note to pad 2. Hit pad 2 and It's resampled it totally dry, minus fx :/ I'm sure I used this workflow before and it resampled with the fx. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

  • @Heyez said:
    Nice one @tk32 the bank and demo sounds good :)

    Just started making a bank and had isem plus fx on pad 1...went to keys view and sampled a C note to pad 2. Hit pad 2 and It's resampled it totally dry, minus fx :/ I'm sure I used this workflow before and it resampled with the fx. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    I'm assuming you had the fx on the bank and not on the source pad, as I've found resampling with fx, when not using master out, only bakes in the source pad's pad fx. =)

  • @ronji said:

    @Heyez said:
    Nice one @tk32 the bank and demo sounds good :)

    Just started making a bank and had isem plus fx on pad 1...went to keys view and sampled a C note to pad 2. Hit pad 2 and It's resampled it totally dry, minus fx :/ I'm sure I used this workflow before and it resampled with the fx. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

    I'm assuming you had the fx on the bank and not on the source pad, as I've found resampling with fx, when not using master out, only bakes in the source pad's pad fx. =)

    Yup, just replied to your other post, it was bank fx... Thanks for figuring out what was happening :)

  • I made such a fire demo for your bank, @tk32, but as bm3 crashed while I was tweaking track automation and entering a pattern about to tweak the pattern midi pitch bend, and I hadn't saved any of my work. I'm going to redo it though!

  • edited March 2018

    I look forward to it!

    I've been working on a tasty new bank demo myself today too

  • edited March 2018

    Love what you've done here @ronji. Tasty syncopated mangled flow :)

    Just added a second bank demo to my original post.

  • What's the best drill when exporting banks? Do I need to 'save as' and tick the checkboxes?
    Every time I add new stuff to the bank? Or only when I first save it?

    I somehow lost a sample on pad 1 after doing the above 'save as' a couple of times. Seems OK since tho.

    Just that I remember reading about people complaining about having duplicate samples and banks etc so I just wanna make sure I'm saving in the right way. Wanna end up with one project file with one copy of the bank and one of each sample file inside it.

    Thanks

  • Dont save with samples until you are ready to archive it for uploading, you shouldnt lose any samples unless you dont save your samples, rephrase, always save your samples unless they are already saved somewhere in the structure.

    This is all typical IOS stuff by the way, thats why i do the forum folder structure to cut out duplicates.

    So yeah save with samples just before you zip it ;)

  • @5pinlink said:
    Dont save with samples until you are ready to archive it for uploading, you shouldnt lose any samples unless you dont save your samples, rephrase, always save your samples unless they are already saved somewhere in the structure.

    This is all typical IOS stuff by the way, thats why i do the forum folder structure to cut out duplicates.

    So yeah save with samples just before you zip it ;)

    Cool, thanks mate :)

  • Anyone else making a bank out there?

    It's very quiet...

    Perhaps @starpause accidentally got stuck on pause :D

  • Yeah im mid bankage

  • I’m in mental planning while being “too busy” to sit down and build a bank, cuz I gotta record my otamatone and all that :joy:

    Also this

Sign In or Register to comment.