BM3 Battle 10 - VOTING CLOSED (Track X wins!)

edited July 2018 in BeatMakers Showcase

X is our winner

Results:

• J - 13.33%
  • L - 6.67%
  • M - 13.33%
  • O - 6.67%
  • S - 13.33%
  • V - 20.00%
  • X - 26.67%

Total votes: 15

Very well done to the author of track X, and a massive congrats to everyone who took part, the spread of votes just shows how good every entry was.

ORIGINAL POST:

Here are the anonymous entries for Battle 10, which was set by @d4d0ug

The challenge was to make an entire track using just one synth. Resampling that synth was permitted, but all sounds, including percussion, must be generated from it.

you have 48 hrs to listen and vote. Voting closes midnight on 17 July.

Comments

• All entries are really great, btw.

In my head I'm trying to match tracks to who I think made them - and try to identify what synth they came from.

• Might be worth posting links to each track, playlists don't display properly on this forum, not here anyway

• Doing it now...

• @tk32 said:
    All entries are really great, btw.

In my head I'm trying to match tracks to who I think made them - and try to identify what synth they came from.

that could be an interesting side contest....

• Should we also leave our vote as a comment in case the poll breaks/disappears again?

• edited July 2018

@huphtur : the poll will be safe as long as I don't edit my original post.

It's a known glitch that editing a post with poll attached loses the poll.

• I like the idea of removing the potential bias of knowing who voted for what. So far I think I avoided being letterist.

• If everybody gets one vote, they voted for themself hahahaha.

• edited July 2018

I've just been reminded how much I enjoy listening to entries; but how much I hate having to pick just one!

• Really nice work everyone! This is a very strong collection of tracks right here!! <3
    Amazing job, Beatmakers! :)
    Cheers all-around!! 👏

• Wow, spread the love!

Love the way these votes are distributing so far.

• Do i vote ?
    I actually dont know which is which off hand.

• @5pinlink said:
    Do i vote ?
    I actually dont know which is which off hand.

I would be happy with you voting, and I don’t think you’d have as much bias as other users. Maybe you can hold your vote in case there needs to be a tie breaker?

I haven’t voted yet so I can’t see the spread. I’ve played through all of the tracks 4 times today and I still can’t pick a favorite!

• edited July 2018

I can see the votes because I posted the poll, but I still haven't voted myself yet.

The vote spread is pretty amazing so far.

p.s. I'd love ol' 5pin to cast a vote, regardless whether he knows the track authors or not

• Yeah makes sense, i'll wait.

• Entries are really good this month, some comments because im only voting if tie break (too hard to decide to be honest, im blown away by every entry)

Entry J - This is a proper DJ tool, all over the track there is little bits missing (trust me thats a good thing) little bits of space here and there for a good DJ to do his stuff, this is a tune that would get played a lot, on the flip side if it had a vocal in those places it could easily be an anthem.

Entry L - When this started i thought "Here we go, easy way out Ambient crap" (I hate Ambient crap, egotistical self absorbed bored dad tosh) but hmm, yeah, this thing was ****ing immense !!! A live flute or Mandolin and this thing is shenmue orchestra style perfection, my only critique is some of the mix needs a tweak and it is about ten minutes too short, this will be on repeat here for months !!!!!

Entry M - This is the sort of song that completes your night, after being out partying or DJing all night to hardcore etc, we would get home and out come all the Superstition records (A label this would slight straight on to) this is the exact sort of song that takes the last little bit of euphoria in your system and turns it in to the ultimate after party, absolutely brilliant and not enough of this sort of stuff is around.

Entry O - Vibert and Howlett just had a baby and i pooped myself !!!
    This is an absolute monster festival banger, the mix sounds as if it was struggling for 3rd party effects (bit too clean where it should be filthy and a little more weight needed in the drums) but this would absolutely destroy the big festivals this year, way way too short !

Entry S - This just sounds like 89/90, its absolutely phenominal very little going on but a stringypaddy thing that would make you peak like **** on your acid, would love to hear an entire album of this stuff, the musicality is stunning for how minimal it is.

Entry V - The mix on this atrocious, the snare needs to be layered with shortened version of the kick for weight, also feels like the bass needs rolling off everything and a nice sub line when it kicks in because the low end is just mud and there is little power to it, now that being said, this is probably the best DnB tune i have heard in the last year, while it takes influences it follows no particular style and just goes on its own arthouse/horror vibe, but all the while being a massive massive neuro/reese dancefloor banger (mix excluded)
    There is something a little bit special about this tune, obviously i am biased with the DnB but this is next gen, whoever it is, tweak it and more of these please !

Entry X - This has an air of lore about it, one of those moments when you just go "Thats exactly how that should sound" if i was to tweak it would be the vocally sounding synth maybe vocode morphing in to an actual vocal for the hook, if you were to watch a SciFi film set in the future and they go in to a bar, this would be playing, its kind of like Daft Punk had an extremely random inspired moment and actually made something brilliant for a change, way too short, need more, will be on repeat at Bestival in two weeks lol.

• edited July 2018

Really love these comments @5pinlink

You seem to be softening up in old age ;) <3

• No, just really good entries this month, feels like a watershed moment to be honest, i think this anon stuff is the way forward.

• Thanks for taking the time, @5pinlink !
    😁🙏👊

• Those are some great comments, @5pinlink, and completely accurate. Sincere thanks! =)

• edited July 2018

I think the big advantage this anonymity gives us is the opportunity to give really constructive criticism (just like 5pin has) and suggest ways each of us could improve their tracks (and future productions).

I'm going to try and be a little critical — if everyone's cool with that — and pick out a few flaws (imho) that I hope will help people tighten-up future tracks. I hope everyone feels able to do the same back to me.. that is, if you can guess which one is mine.

By the way, I'm pretty sure I can correctly identify the creators for 4 of these based on some 'stylistic hallmarks' >:)

• I still have no idea who is who by the way, Ihave some guesses, but ill find out when everybody else does.

• @tk32 Please do give critical feedback. =)

I've just voted. Wow what a voting spread! It is a difficult choice to make, but I hope several people can find the time to place a vote in the next ~24 hours.

• @5pinlink Thanks for the good vibes!

• 8 votes so far. I wonder if we can get at least another 8 in the next 24 hours before voting closes

(I really must submit my vote now!)

• edited July 2018

@Audiogus said:
    I like the idea of removing the potential bias of knowing who voted for what. So far I think I avoided being letterist.

Still curious, I’m unfamiliar with the word ‘letterist’. I can guess what it means, but it looks like a word with quite a precise meaning 🙂

• @denx I think @Audiogus Was being silly by suggesting the only bias we have left without artist names is the random letter applied to each track, as if some might be superior to others =p

• @ronji said:
    @denx I think @Audiogus Was being silly by suggesting the only bias we have left without artist names is the random letter applied to each track, as if some might be superior to others =p

Ah, ok, like racist, silly me 😄
    There was actually a letterist movement in France apparently, but I struggled to find a connection 🤪

• @denx said:

@ronji said:
    @denx I think @Audiogus Was being silly by suggesting the only bias we have left without artist names is the random letter applied to each track, as if some might be superior to others =p

Ah, ok, like racist, silly me 😄
    There was actually a letterist movement in France apparently, but I struggled to find a connection 🤪

Oh jeez, I should be more careful next time. Words are a powerful thing, can’t just be making up new ones like some wordifier.