β€Ί

BM3 Battle 10 - VOTING CLOSED (Track X wins!)

Comments

• @Audiogus said:

@denx said:

@ronji said:
    @denx I think @Audiogus Was being silly by suggesting the only bias we have left without artist names is the random letter applied to each track, as if some might be superior to others =p

Ah, ok, like racist, silly me πŸ˜„
    There was actually a letterist movement in France apparently, but I struggled to find a connection πŸ€ͺ

Oh jeez, I should be more careful next time. Words are a powerful thing, can’t just be making up new ones like some wordifier.

It provided at least 10 minutes of entertainement and I learned about a French art movement that somehow entirely escaped my attention so far (not that I know anything about art) so please don’t restrain yourself 😊

• @d4d0ug said:
    We should share these with the app devs once revealed.

If you do, make sure you send them here tothe forum to listen ;)

• edited July 2018

Just noticed your thread at the AB forum, you would do better telling them it costs Β£500 to enter, you might even get a reply lol
    Those tossbags didn't even visit at Xmas when there was a ton of prizes (luckily, cause at least the hardware went to @DeanDaughters who actually gets off his ass and does stuff lol)

• @d4d0ug said:
    We should share these with the app devs once revealed.

Amen to that! Yeah! :)
    πŸ‘Š

• @5pinlink said:

@DeanDaughters who actually gets off his ass and does stuff lol)

Awwww Yeah!!
    +1 for getting off the ass and doing music stuff!
    :D

• yah, yah those guys on the Ab forum... yah those guys... heh

• @Audiogus said:
    yah, yah those guys on the Ab forum... yah those guys... heh

Yes, but you do stick out over there to be fair, you arent the norm lol

• edited July 2018

My brothers (and hopefully one day, sisters too),

I am delighted to report that with about 8 hours to go until the votes close...

Every one of the entries has secured 1 or more votes!

Assuming we haven't all just voted for ourselves, I say congratulations to all

• ;)
    Pretty sure i know who made the entry I voted for....
    And it certainly wasn't me!

And I heartily second @tk32 's mood of congratulations to ALL participants - these tracks are so good! πŸ€—πŸ˜πŸ‘Š

• edited July 2018

Ok, i promised to be constructively critical (even with my own entry) so here goes.

Here are my strengths and weaknesses, as I see them, for each track:

J

+ funkiest entry by miles, brings a smile to the face, and an uncontrollable wiggle to the knees
    + very balanced sound, stereo field and well-mastered for club play. The bass is not over-hyped and sounds crisp
    - the track basically just repeats after the half way mark. Bit lazy?

L

+ Lovely layering and sound textures
    + I started daydreaming (luckily I was on a train, not driving)
    - unfortunately the lushness is let down by clipping, aliasing, and in parts it almost makes my ears bleed with it harshness. Not cool for an ambient track. i had to keep turning it down as the track built up.

M

+ Totally nails that mid-late-90s euro trance vibe
    + Excellent track structure, this is one good mastering short of being club ready (if you had a time machine back to 1999, perhaps)
    + Impressed this all came from one synth
    - i feel it needs a bit more oomph (from limiting/eq) and the main lead could do with some more supporting pads imho

O

+ Smack! Love the way that beat drops. Reminds me of some 80s New Order or Depeche Mode drum programming (but reinterpreted by The Prodigy ;))
    + Unconventional meshing of elements and styles, but it still kind of works.
    - Too short, and the second breakdown seems to build to a drop that never quite happens. i feel this could have been developed further. And it needs a vocal.
    - Should it get marked down for being under 3 mins?

S

+ Nice chill summer vibe
    - Bass sound is a bit weird, and lacking in lower frequencies
    - The bass drum is also a weak point for me. It needed sculpting and EQ’ing a bit better to give it a little more punch.
    - Sounds like you accidentally recorded the metronome into the track by mistake :)

V

+ Great drum programming, and effective building in the intro
    + This is painfully close to a real DnB treat. I really hate to criticise it at all, but...
    - not sure the constant squelchy synth sequence underlying the track works that well.
    - The main melody just seems to meander a bit too much without purpose, and doesn't quite match the aggressiveness of the bass and drum parts
    - The track loses focus in the second half. I get the feeling this person ran out of time and had to finish up quickly ;)
    - no sub?

X

+ this person really knows what they're doing. Awesome textures, and clever use of effects.
    + The production and mixing level is very high. And I can't believe you managed to layer so many different sounds in light of the multiple instances 'glitch'. Bravo.
    - The overall mix is a little bass-heavy to my ears, perhaps try surgically sculpting out some of the congested lower end with your the new Fabfilter Pro-Q2 :double-wink:
    - The track has a progressive/psy trance vibe, so the two melodies which are introduced don't quite match the style of the track imho. I don't know, maybe that cheerful lead towrds the end just sounds far too 'clean' (and too upbeat, perhaps)?

β€”-
    Hopefully you still can't tell which is mine

• Ok. Voting closed.

X is our winner

Results:

• J - 13.33%
    • L - 6.67%
    • M - 13.33%
    • O - 6.67%
    • S - 13.33%
    • V - 20.00%
    • X - 26.67%

Total votes: 15

Very well done to the author of track X, and a massive congrats to everyone who took part, the spread of votes just shows how good every entry was.

• Congatulatios @x !πŸ˜ƒ

• Now to satisfy the next level of curiosity: who created which entry?
    Of course I know mine 😁

• Not sure which one was yours @denx

Though I do think it's either M or S ;)

Can you guess mine?

• edited July 2018

@tk32 said:
    Not sure which one was yours @denx

Though I do think it's either M or S ;)

Can you guess mine?

You are right πŸ˜‰
    As to your entry, not a clue. But if I had to pick one, maybe v?

Edit: I excluded X based on your comments πŸ™‚

• I wish mine was V.

Unfortunately not.

• I voted for V, which I am guessing is from @ronji ?
    :o

• Ok then, confession time?

• I am Mr. X (how cool is that title? <3 )

Thank You Very Much to everyone who voted for my entry!

ALL of the entries this round were exceptionally creative and well done - I thought for sure I was out of the race on this round, what a nice surprise! :o

My entry was made with Synthmaster One and I am of course planning to make a video with more details to share with you guys as to how I put it together!

Right now, my studio room is under major construction, so new videos will most likely be a couple weeks out still.
    It's exciting for sure, but also embarrassing as all shizzle, because what I tried to build in my studio room on my own was not nearly good enough for my own acoustic needs. 😳

Thank You to everyone who participated in this round!

BATTLE 11 incoming!!

• Congrats Dean.

I'm really looking forward to your video deconstructing the track and method, and doubly excited to see what you have in store for us for battle 11!

• edited July 2018

If you want a clue about my entry... just think of the most (in)famous running back of the Buffalo Bills back in the 1970s

• @DeanDaughters congratulations indeed! And a new studio, nice 😁

I’m mister m (but actually more used to be mr X lol)
    Made with synthmaster one.
    Thanks for the votes and the nice comments!

So, v, @ronji ?

I really don’t have a clue πŸ˜‚ so hard!

• @tk32 said:
    If you want a clue about my entry... just think of the most (in)famous running back of the Buffalo Bills back in the 1970s

Alas, that doesn’t help me 😬

• edited July 2018

V is definitely Ronji.

I'm both O and J ;)

Since it was anonymous, it was just too tempting not to enter a second entry. Besides, my original project is still stuck in limbo and won't load :(
    Both tracks made with Synthmaster One (of course!)

• edited July 2018

For the remaining 2, my guess is..

L - @d4d0ug
    S - @dafingaz

By the way @denx, you'll be pleased to know I voted for your track :)

• edited July 2018

Indeed I was V =) I had a good feeling Dean was X, well done and congrats @DeanDaughters! @tk32 Were you O, or J? Hahaha, that's what googling your clue is leading me to. [edit, I see you've revealed it was both!! clever clever] I voted for J, because it was the most fun to listen to for me. It was really hard to pick one. I can't even decide my second fav because they all stood out on their own.

I've already improved the mix of my tune with pro-Q 2 haha. I did think about cutting the lows and replacing it with a sub, but I didn't feel like I had the time. @5pinlink And @tk32 were both right about the shortcomings =) I'm gonna flesh it out a bit more before I post my own final version, but here's the EQ'd version (it's a private link but I think it should work?)

this is a link

Oh, and I did my tune with SynthMaster One. The bass is resampled and overdriven (part of the cause of the muddiness) and the staccato parts are sliced from the first two long intro parts. In my re-mixed version, I cut out the lows below 20hz and also a bit of the highs, and high shelved down the majority of the highs, and pulled down some peaks from the squelchy arp lead, and I think that made the snare sound more prominent without having to do any additional layering. I still plan on improving it some. =)

• Really nice work, @ronji - You got the πŸ”₯ !!

• btw - @tk32

NICE ONE on getting two entries in this round!!
    πŸ˜πŸ‘Š

• edited July 2018

@ronji

So glad to hear you're continuing to work on the track. It definitely deserves it.

Look forward to hearing V2 later today.

Ps. thanks for the vote :)

• edited July 2018

FYI i didnt vote because i would have made it a tie break, so @ronji was actually level with @DeanDaughters ;)
    Congrats to both and dontforget to let @tk32 know what type of comp you choose for 11 @DeanDaughters ;)

Dean Daughters Entry X
    Denx Entry M
    TK32 1 Entry J
    TK32 2 Entry O
    Dafingaz Entry L
    d4doug Entry S
    ronnie Entry V