BM3 battles 01 Discussion

edited August 2017 in General
Over on the Op1, SP and Elektronauts forums people will often post battle challenges. Friendly way to motivate each other in to getting a track finished to a deadline with some creative rules set out which normally steer people to do things slightly differently to their normal workflow/explore new areas of hardware/software. People submit tracks via soundcloud links and after deadline the tracks get voted on. The winner picks the rules/brief for the next Battle. Person that creates the battle/rules isn't eligible to enter/receive votes. Tho often also contributes a track just for kicks.

Wondering if peeps on here would be down with the idea of starting BM3 battles? If so I'll get a 'Battle 01' brief together this week to kick things off :)
Anyone down for BM3 forum battles?
  1. Anyone down for BM3 battles?17 votes
    1. F*"K yeah!
      76.47%
    2. Nah.
      23.53%

Comments

• I'm game but I need to get all this technical bollocks out of the way first. Can't be creating 'pseudo-competitively' when I can't use my pads and keys at the same time!
  • edited August 2017
    Haha! Yeh I think a lot of us are still finding their flow on BM3/working round issues. 4wks deadline will hopefully be enough for everyone down for entering to cobble something together :) And from experience elsewhere
    , Battle deadlines are usually pretty chill if anyone needs a few days extensiom ;)
  • Great idea. Although there are technical issues, BM3 kinda feels (at the least, potentially) limitless. When ios 11 turns up we can do videos of the creation process more easy also. It will all add up to a great sharing/learning experience. Cool

• @richtowns Yeh the limitless nature of BM3 is gonna be fun to think of ways to make battles interesting/limited ;) Got a few things in mind, will post an idea for Battle 01 later tonight :)

Curious about your ios 11 mention. Does ios 11 feature some kind of screen record function for video?

Might also be cool if people who were happy with sharing stuff could also upload their battle project session file and post that download link the same time as they submit the soundcloud link. Could be a cool community way to share patches/banks etc. Not like a battle standard rule, just down to user preference if they felt like uploading/sharing.
  • edited August 2017

@Heyez Yeah, that would be fun, caveat being the same as many of the above. I'm basically curating sample banks and edits at the moment. When BM3's more stable with a quick in-out workflow supported, it could be fun :smiley:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Nick @triton100 yeah I hear you re stability etc. Kinda feels like Battle tracks are the perfect thing to work on in BM3 atm tho ;) Jams that no one's going to be super precious about or sweating over for a future release. Soon as I start working on anything 'serious' in bm3 that's when I start to hit probs/get frustrated.
    Hopefully for Battle tracks a lot of those current workflow/stability/stress issues can kind of be sidestepped in the early battles and just keep it fun/focused on the good stuff ;)
  • Great idea, and the ideal distraction from the alternative of sitting waiting for bug fixes/updates (like watching a kettle boil)

Bring on the first challenge...

• Once we all get finished with collectively winning the current battle with BM3 itself, petty civil wars do seem like a good way to pass the time.
  • Battle's up :) I felt kind of uncomfortable/awkward to be setting out the rules on the first one :/ Hopefully it leads to some fun/discovery/cool jams tho...

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/5158/bm3-battle-01-deadline-sept-30th?new=1
  • Thanks Heyez,

I replied with a potential suggestion for some simpler rules (less rules = fewer debates + easier to adjudicate?) in that thread, but now wish I'd posted it here instead. Sorry.

I'm really pleased you kicked things off however... A man of action!

T
  • Thread merge...

@triton 100 said:
    Only thing re the 1 au rule. If gadget and beathawk are out so as not to 'cheat', what about synths like poison which are also a one stop shop for drums leads pads etc is that ok?

• Thread merge...

@Heyez said:
    @triton100 I included a 'one patch/sound per AU' rule to hopefully avoid that kind of AU use ;) haven't used Poison tho, and there are probably a few synths out there that have morph capabilites like sunrizer (patches within patches..) etc, and obvs one synth patch can be tweaked in various direction with automation etc to be many types of patches etc etc so I guess if someone wanted to they could kind of cheat and make one synth patch also be a drum kit.. Let's keep it chill tho on this first challenge and just leave it down to the person how hard they want to challenge themselves or take the (possibly) easier routes ;)

• Thread merge...

@triton100 said:
    Ah right only one sound or kit per AU. Sheez this is some serious limitations shananigans . I love it

• Thread merge...

@tk32 said:
    Ha!

I may have slightly underestimated the complexity of these battle restrictions.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I was expecting this first one be more like...

1 drum bank (AU or sampled, not both)
    Ha!

I may have slightly underestimated the complexity of these battle restrictions.

Not to sound ungrateful, but I was expecting this first one be more like...

1 drum bank (AU or sampled, not both)
    1 bass bank (AU or sampled)
    1 synth/sample lead bank (AU or sampled)
    3 FX max (anywhere in the chain)
    BPM 110
    1 minute length

...less rules = easier to judge/verify1 bass bank (AU or sampled)
    1 synth/sample lead bank (AU or sampled)
    3 FX max (anywhere in the chain)
    BPM 110
    1 minute length

...less rules = easier to judge/verify

• Thread merge...

@5pinlink said:
    I do love the simplicity of the DV beat battles format "Here is an obscure piece of vinyl, you must use at least one sample from it"

• Thread merge...

@tk32 said:
    I like both approaches..

1. A freeform approach with workflow restrictions, where no two entries sound alike
    2. A track built from a standard set of ingredients (or source material) where you can hear how everyone has mangled and reconstructed the same sounds.

Option (1) I would call a Restricted Workflow challenge, Option (2) is a Restricted palette challenge.

There's appetite and time for both here, if you ask me.

T

• Just merged all the discussion in the other thread to this one for tidiness, and changed the title on this thread to Battle 01 discussion ;)

• @tk32 I just replied in the other thread before seeing the posts got switched here. I'll leave the other post where it is (seems like possibly a more concise list of rules than the original extended version ;) and duplicate here -

tk32 Haha, I probably made it sound overly complicated in attempt to make things super clear! Basically -

Solid rules -
    1 bank
    1 audio track.
    1 AUX track.
    5 samples from radio.
    1 sample from mic.
    1 AU instrument instance (if totally necessary. If so, just 1 patch on that instrument).
    Unlimited fx - But fx limited to BM3 fx or freebie.
    Hit the random number link and add 85 to get your project tempo.

Optional rule - pick a number 1 single from year you were born and cover it while sticking to the above guidelines.

There's not much to it really ;)
  • @Heyez said:
    @tk32 Haha, I probably made it sound overly complicated in attempt to make things super clear! Basically -

Solid rules -
    1 bank
    1 audio track.
    1 AUX track.
    5 samples from radio.
    1 sample from mic.
    1 AU instrument instance (if totally necessary. If so, just 1 patch on that instrument).
    Unlimited fx - But fx limited to BM3 fx or freebie.
    Hit the random number link and add 85 to get your project tempo.

Optional rule - pick a number 1 single from year you were born and cover it while sticking to the above guidelines.

There's not much to it really ;)

• edited August 2017

Rules and entries thread is now stickied in showcase ;)
    If we can keep it to just entires over there and discussion here, will be easier to listen to entries for forum users.

• Nice one mate
  • Thanks 5pin.

Can you remix beats as well as you remix forum threads? ;)
  • @tk32 it was kinda difficult to set out the rules for this first one whilst being conscious of people having different spec ipads/some people might not having an interface to sample with/some people might not have any AU plugins etc..but to try and still make it sort of interesting/random/take people out of their comfort zones ;)
    So trying to make it so that everyone could get in on it without any hardware/software handicap sort of dictated half of the rules ;)
  • Understood, and really like your new summary of the rules.

... Now I need to get started!
  • I would clear up the AUi rule @Heyez
    Can they use a drum AUi or is it just chromatic AUi ?

• Drum or synth AUi is fine. No instrument sampler AUi's tho (beathawk/sampletank etc) and only one instance/patch.
  • edited August 2017
    May the carnage continue! How would you feel about making it more difficult with bonus points for picking a song from entrants homelands charts close to *date of birth*? I think that universal pain would really stoke the challenge. For me at least. Jaysus...

Joking aside - could you clarify the mic rule? No meta humour. Really. My condenser mic is not close to hand, and my audio interface is banjaxed, so assuming iOS mic which will also be used for radio sampling is what you are referring to?
  • edited August 2017
    The radio sampling is via a free AU plugin, you load the plugin and can tune in to a ton of stations via WIFI, and record them directly in BM3 ;)
  • Ha ha ha! iPad mic it is then :smile: