BM3 battles 01 Discussion

Comments

• edited September 2017
    @triton100 Whaaaaat? So instead of explaining where I had been 'Narky' before, like I asked you to, you focus on the word 'dictator' and spin off..

I never said anyone accused me of being a dictator. You said that I had gotten Narky when people had made suggestions. I asked you for an example and said that that would Imply that I was treating things as some kind of dictatorship, as opposed to being open to suggestions. Pretty simple really but this forum often baffles me...

I didn't post any passive aggressive digs with emojis either. Where are those exactly? To whom?
    In the same place as when I was Narky maybe? Those emojis were there for people who have a tendency to think that 'Discussion/difference of opinion = Narky'. To illustrate that I might be disagreeing, but with a smile. But I guess they haven't worked...
  • @Heyez said:

Audio track was meant only for vocals/resampling really but you could use the 'one ipad mic sample' rule/allowance to get some drums on pads? If you haven't used that sample already? Only one ipad mic sample allowed tho, but no length limit and you can chop it ;)

Brilliant. Done.

Have you tried making some kind of drums from what you already have? Like short snippets slices/layers + varied filters/drive/res for different types of drum? You might be surprised with what you can carve out of thin air ;)

I might need a tutorial on that. Couldn’t for the life of me get a good bass drum sound from anything I had. But a big cardboard box, bit crushed, overdriven then LP filtered worked well.

Working within one bank is a challenge when it comes to sequencing, even without the sequencer bugs (I’ve got a weird one where if I record into pattern 1 while looping pattern 1 + 2, the overlapping bit gets double-speed on playback!). I’ve resorted to a workflow of 4 bar patterns where I work on one until I’m happy, duplicate it, add it to song, delete half of the samples and notes, work on it until I’m happy, duplicate, add... It works but heck it’s inefficient.

• @TheMediocritist
    Most things pitched down will make a usable bass drum, the key is to pitch the start of the sample right up very quickly with an envelope and back down, that gives you your thump ;)

• edited September 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited September 2017
    @triton100 None of those things youve highlighted are Passive Aggressive or Narky. Just the words of someone saying they aren't enjoying themselves and offering the job to someone else.

You can't really expect to accuse someone of being Narky and then be all 'must we really do this? we all love BM3. There's no need for emotive discourse'. You can't say that kind of stuff about people and expect them not to react...

Re everything else.. People are asking about rules details cos I got persuaded to totally shrink the rules down to only bullet points. Now I have to clarify stuff that was already there in the original fine details. It's not the end of the world but it's things I needn't have had to repeat.

And suggesting I change tiny things like -

(maximum) 1 audio track.

To

1 audio track (optional).

That kind of fine detail/scrutiny just killed it for me. Just felt a little rude/unnecessary... It was only a battle post. Not the queen's speech... Nowww I'm being vaguely Narky ;) emoji to show that I'm still actually just having friendly banter. See, 'chill' afterall ;)
  • @5pinlink said:
    @TheMediocritist
    Most things pitched down will make a usable bass drum, the key is to pitch the start of the sample right up very quickly with an envelope and back down, that gives you your thump ;)

Thanks! That makes sense. Thanks also for the advice in the other thread about avoiding sample clicks.

• @Heyez said:

And suggesting I change tiny things like -

(maximum) 1 audio track.

To

1 audio track (optional).

That kind of fine detail/scrutiny just killed it for me. Just felt a little rude/unnecessary... It was only a battle post. Not the queen's speech... Nowww I'm being vaguely Narky ;) emoji to show that I'm still actually just having friendly banter. See, 'chill' afterall ;)

I was staying out of this, but that quote isn't even close to reality, your original post had a whole extra bunch of lines why an audio track was optional, all i did was suggested you remove clutter (In this case extra lines that could be summed up by the word optional in brackets, and also removing extra text maximum, which is defined by the number 1 anyway) and it was a suggestion, i changed nothing, i made suggestions.
    Also saying that people are now asking for clarification on rules when nobody has asked for any clarification at all since the rules where simplified is just silly ?

You are not being friendly/chill/having banter, by saying things like rude/unnecessary/not the queens speech, and those three where just in that last post, if you do not see these sorts of remarks as being passive aggressive, fine, but it has been pointed out to your already that others do, so do not be surprised when people do so again.

Fine you don't want to run the competition anymore, done, if nobody else does it, i will, it is not much hard work.

I wont be arguing any of these points, but if others feel the need to, will happily split you off in to your own thread.

• Lol I'll carry on running this battle but thanks anyway.
  • You are welcome.

• edited September 2017

Hey bitches - less chat, more entries.

Otherwise my shitty bladeunner/amen thing wins by default :p

• edited September 2017
    Mega +1 :)

I started something, hopefully get some time for it again tomoro. I won't be eligible for votes but fun to throw something in anyway :) found some nice radio samples which turned in to keeper instruments :)
  • edited September 2017

@Heyez Think I'm going to throw something if I get the time (27 days, right?). Short story... any restrictions on how we submit? Is SoundCloud a requirement? Makes sense, but wondering if an uploaded wav or other file host would be alright?

• edited September 2017

If it can be heard its golden ;)
    Soundcloud and YouTube have the advantage of being playable in the post here at the forum.

• @Nick Soundcloud links please dude :) We can make playlist then for convenient voting and maybe also post it to some production blogs/zines etc if get time to do that kind of promo stuff.
  • I should just keep out of it haha

• Just over 2 weeks left before the battle deadline (30 Sept)...

Really hoping I'm not the only entry B)

• ....it's Friday night and i'm chopping Strom recordings in BM3 --
    ...there is magic happening --
    ...right here, right now --
    ...just thought you should know --
    ...stay tuned --

• Exciting. Though I have a suspicion you'll blow mine out of the water... and probably have a cool accompanying youtube jam vid to show how it was made.

Looking forward to hearing it Dean.

• Actually yours is quite hard to beat (pun fully intended) in my book, because you found a station with Amen Brother on it ;)
  • 1 week to go (just saying)

You guys should try less talking; more music making.

:p

• @Heyez said:
    @triton100 Cool, Let's say Entries by Monday, might get a few more people able to get some time over wknd ;)

I have a beast of a project so far with all the samples, and I was bummed that I wasn't going to have time to finish by last night, so I'm glad to see this little change to allow me to finish up today. You should update the first post with the new deadline, @Heyez. =)

Also, just wanted to bring up how some of the entries this round, while I really dig them all and they sound awesome, seemed to use the rules as a guide, but didn't strictly follow them. =p Part of what has been taking me so long is not using premium ($) effects, using something from each of the 5 ström stations sampled (no less), using only one bank for all these subsamples (pattern madness, fx misery), and thinking about what I'm going to record for the ipad mic sample.

• edited October 2017

@tk32 said:
    1 week to go (just saying)

You guys should try less talking; more music making.

:p

True

Unless, of course, its spoken word your making. ;)

• edited October 2017
    @ronji cool that you'll make the deadline now, look forward to checking your tune :)

Yeh I noticed a little bending of the rules but figured no big deal. Agreed tho that things like sticking to the 'only one bank' rule deserve some extra kudos points when comes to voting. People can just weigh things up when they vote and take everything in to consideration. For first battle it's nice to keep things pretty chill, I didn't wanna come in and start laying down the law..

I'll amend the deadline date on the initial post.
  • Don’t forget that shifting the deadline also pushes back the start time for next month. Although I didn’t get something finished for this battle, I’m keen to see what the rules are for October.

• @TheMediocritist said:
    Don’t forget that shifting the deadline also pushes back the start time for next month. Although I didn’t get something finished for this battle, I’m keen to see what the rules are for October.

Good point. Who are we nominating to set the rules for Battle #2?

• @tk32 whoever wins battle 01 ;) I'll make a 'Battle 01 Vote' thread later this morning ;)
  • So sad I still didn't manage to finish my submission in time. My Sunday turned ended up requiring more of my time than I'd hoped, and when I did have time to work on it in the evening I had a crash while sample editing that lost too much unsaved work for me to recover from. I'm still gonna finish it though, cuz I'm stubborn! =)

• All these crashes that stopped people finishing, can we list what caused them please.
    I do know the developers want as many crashes gone as possible.