Showcase: AU MIDI thru and recording for any plugin in BM3

edited December 2018 in General

I've been pretty annoyed with not being able to make any sound on BM's pads while MIDI effect plugins are enabled (and don't feature MIDI thru themselves). So instead of waiting for Intua to add this feature, I'm building a thing to make that possible for any plugin myself.

This fixes https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/7116/when-inserting-rozeta-in-a-bank-i-get-no-sound-3-0-11#latest and addresses some comments in https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/7122/au-midi-feature-requests#latest . It should even work across banks (therefore solving the removal of internal MIDI routing in the latest versions).

The plugin acts like a virtual "fork", copying over MIDI input and pasting it over later. I'm planning to add more functionality like "cut" and "replace", allowing any kinds of interaction with other MIDI hosts (overwrite their MIDI, combine with their MIDI, alter their output MIDI based on user's original input etc.).

Here's a video showcasing how it works:
1. Rozeta enabled: pads make no sound
2. Added an entry and exit point for the MIDI thru plugin
3. Rozeta enabled: pads now make sound

Is there any other features you'd like with this?

Update: AU midi recording now implemented.

Single track workflow:

Multiple track workflow:

Comments

• edited November 2018

Awesome stuff !!

• Really great work @blueveek

So glad to have you and your coding skills as part of our team :)

Now... where can I get this cool plugin?

• @tk32 said:

Now... where can I get this cool plugin?

Gonna release it as soon as I figure out how this app store thing works. Or how the beta testing thing works. New to all of this. Help welcome :)

• Skillz! Very cool!

• edited November 2018

I think this is ready.

Besides being able to enable midi thru, this plugin re-enables internal midi routing between multiple banks. This isn't done with virtual MIDI cables: everything is done in the same internal render block, and MIDI memory is shared, since the plugin instances aren't process-isolated. In laymen's terms, I don't think this introduces latency at all.

Here's a demo showcasing the UI and internal midi routing:

• Looks very promising!
    Will it handle both MIDI note events and MIDI CC?

• No latency, well would you believe it!!!
    Excellent stuff.

• @5pinlink said:
    No latency, well would you believe it!!!
    Excellent stuff.

I think so, because everything happens in the same render cycle (so before the next interruption).

All the outgoing/synthesised MIDI events have the same timing as the incoming/memorised ones, so I suspect that if there was any latency involved, this approach (no virtual MIDI cables, just shared memory) wouldn't have worked at all. There is a slight chance BM is doing some magic behind the scenes that can invalidate my hypothesis, but so far everything seems to work well.

• @bleep said:
    Looks very promising!
    Will it handle both MIDI note events and MIDI CC?

It should, I don't make any distinction in the code, but should test.

• Hey,

That's really cool @blueveek, kudo's !

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• edited December 2018

Hello blueveek,
    Have you make any progress packaging your plugin?

• edited December 2018

@jeezs Yup! D'ya want to beta test? Send me a DM.

• @blueveek said:
    ...no virtual MIDI cables, just shared memory...

Incidentally this also enables MIDI routing between tracks in Cubasis, if you're into that.

(Until Apple decides to process isolate plugin instances, then it's back to pad 1, and that's going to be the least of everyone's problems.)

• Hi @blueveek does your plugin enable recording of midi plugins like Rozetta etc into midi patterns?

• edited December 2018

@groovey said:
    Hi @blueveek does your plugin enable recording of midi plugins like Rozetta etc into midi patterns?

Well since you asked, I made it happen.

Single track workflow:

Multiple track workflow:

:)

• edited December 2018

The Blue Wizard strikes again!

• @blueveek ok this is like some magic Harry Potter shit. So whatever I ask you can make happen, kinda like a genie ? Does that mean I get 2 more wishes.
    Hmm, let’s see. Stable and intuitive AU fx automation, 3 point audio track editing, duplicate / move tracks, and pointer in midi pattern editor. Ok that’s 4. Seriously though that’s extremely cool and useful. Happy to pay for your efforts.

You do realise you have just solved something that users have been wanting badly since it got removed. I daresay a lot of folk will be very happy. I’m just confused how it’s taken someone else to have to implement it rather than Intua, though I’m no developer, so I guess maybe there’s some internal workings that have caused more issue than we know about.

Nice work 👌

• edited December 2018

@groovey said:
    ok this is like some magic Harry Potter shit. So whatever I ask you can make happen, kinda like a genie ? Does that mean I get 2 more wishes.
    Hmm, let’s see. Stable and intuitive AU fx automation, 3 point audio track editing, duplicate / move tracks, and pointer in midi pattern editor. Ok that’s 4. Seriously though that’s extremely cool and useful. Happy to pay for your efforts.

You do realise you have just solved something that users have been wanting badly since it got removed. I daresay a lot of folk will be very happy. I’m just confused how it’s taken someone else to have to implement it rather than Intua, though I’m no developer, so I guess maybe there’s some internal workings that have caused more issue than we know about.

Nice work 👌

Intua said they will add AU midi FX recording feature in a future update I believe.

• edited December 2018

I still want to know where this 3 point editing stuff comes from, It's a video term and doubtful if it means what people posting it think it means :)
    I am guessing you mean start and end point editing direct on item, volume direct on item, fades direct on item, right ?

3 point editing is a copy and pasting technique used in video editing (Only 3 points of interest needed between two different timelines to determine an accurate time based copy/cut and paste)

• Intua said they will implement AU midi FX recording in a future update I believe so it looking good.

• @5pinlink said:
    I still want to know where this 3 point editing stuff comes from, It's a video term and doubtful if it means what people posting it think it means :)
    I am guessing you mean start and end point editing direct on item, volume direct on item, fades direct on item, right ?

3 point editing is a copy and pasting technique used in video editing (Only 3 points of interest needed between two different timelines to determine an accurate time based copy/cut and paste)

Eh! terms! Yah I have heard five point refered to as well. Left/right length, left/right fade, overall level. Eh! Is there a single compact term for these things? Is this our chance to coin it?

• edited December 2018

Personally i have always just called it 'Clip' or 'Item' editing.

FYI
    5 point editing was the original multi timeline editing technique in video, until somebody realised you only need to know 3 points to achieve the same task, so both 3 and 5 point come from video editing for copy and paste between timelines.