BM3 Battle 17 - Back to the early 90s (no fixed deadline)

edited March 2019 in BeatMakers Showcase

Firstly - thanks for the votes everyone, it was an honour to win Battle 16 against such a strong set of entries.

So for this month, the theme is...

Back to the early 90s

No genre restrictions, just make your track sound like it was made between 1990-1994

Rules

1. Track must be made with BeatMaker3
  2. All plugins (AUv3 etc.) are allowed — includes synths, instruments, audio effects and midi effects too
  3. Try to make your track sounds as authentically early 90s as possible. Think about the types of drums and effects that were popular at the time.
  4. NO REMIXES - original work only (though sampling other tracks is fine).
  5. Mastering in external apps (or desktop) is allowed
  6. All entries must be submitted here in this thread by the end of Sunday 3 March

Good luck everyone - I hope to hear a wide range of styles and submissions, ranging across house, rave, proto-trance, jungle, golden age hip hop etc.

http://spinningmusic.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/90s-fashions1.jpg

Comments

• edited February 2019

Everyone..

Feel free to add images and videos here that may help spark inspiration.

• edited February 2019

Here's some inspiration

Logic - Blues for you

Kenny 'Dope' Gonzalez presents The Bucketheads - The Bomb

Bizarre Inc - Playing with Knives

A Tribe Called Quest - Scenario

Nas - The World is yours

Ice Cube - It was a good day

Orbital - Chime

Hardrive - Deep Inside

• Can I submit one I've already made?

• edited February 2019

Lol @The_Bro - you should have kept that quiet and pretended you made it this month!

New tracks only please... Part of the challenge is that you only get 4 weeks to make it.

• Hey guys, I’m new to the game. BM3 as a DAW for sure, but are 3rd party AUs (Instruments and FX) allowed? Just got my new ipad last week and I think this would be a great chance for me to delve deeper into BM3.

• edited February 2019

One of my favourite Vocal House tracks from the 90s. B)

This one was pretty huge over here in Germany in the 90s.

• Hi @WatchThemKraut

Yes, AUv3 plugins are definitely allowed :)

I've updated the instructions to make this clear

• edited February 2019

• So yea I’m sorry but I got many that I think sounds like 90s cuz 90 drums is what I love to play. I was born in 90 so kinda young the first go around. But honestly love souls of mischief, Hieroglyphics, and other dope 90s era groups. I personally like the sound better and think Lyricisms was a must all across the board not just in certain music u gotta dig for today.

The first video I made cheap drums on computer. The next three are me playing the loop. But actually this is a good opportunity for me to make better drums to the first one cuz that’s what I was playing to do in first place... thx

• Wondering if this beat qualifys. It’s my newest and I like it but might not be as 90s. I’m playing the drum loop.

• Hi @CyMpAL_MuZnIQuE - I’m pleased you’re interested in joining the battles. The objective is that we set a theme, and then everyone gets 4 weeks to create a track using that theme, from start to finish.

It’s great that early 90s suits you, and that you already have tracks in this style, but I’m afraid you’re going to need to create something new if you want to enter (just like I said to The_Bro a few posts back).

• Alright cool sounds good. Ill delete them cuz yea did take into account the 4 weeks we have lol sounds good. I’ll create something new. Thanks

• 93 til infinity would be a good name for this theme iol if u need one. Dope album. That’s when ya lost lol

• Honestly @CyMpAL_MuZnIQuE is a machine right now with releases, Ive been loving his stuff, looking forward to his battle entries.

• @winconway thx bro it always feels cool when people like em cuz idk way but I try and send my tunes to like actually friends and my bro. U know try to get a little feed back and they never even say shit not even that sucked or pretended to listen. But then there’s quite a few people online that I don’t even know but seem to like em. Yea we share the hobby of beat making. But pretty much all the younger people share the hobby of hip hop.... but o well. I’m just glad some peps be digging it. 🤘🏽Helps keep me buildin and learning... I do like the final product but the process not that fun to me and if nobody was liking anything i might have stopped lol... but anyway ✊🏽 Keep beat ballin hard. Lol I’ll try to keep Em Rollin and hopefully still turning out alright. Are you gonna enter a beat also 4 this challenge WinCon?

• edited February 2019

This is right up my alley ... B) >:)

• Man I am so behind....

But I did manage to get a nice groove going today, so might still have something ready in time.

How is everyone else going with this month's challenge???

• If anyone is working on a track for this battle, please reply here and say "me!"

• DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 10 MARCH

• In the spirit of the original deadline (today), this is what I'm working on for this battle. =)

• Thanks @ronji

Although.... you're in danger of scaring all the competition away with your dope golden-era hip hop beats!

• Haha thanks @tk32 , But let's hope I don't!

In case anyone was wondering, or in case anyone wants to grab some potentially inspiring samples, here's what I've got in there so far:
    Drums hits from a free sample pack "one for Dilla" here https://stlndrms.com/products/stlndrms-x-soul-surplus-one-for-dilla-sample-pack
    Drum break from "kissing my love" (find it yourself)
    Baseline sample from the one for Dilla pack (repitched first note)
    Mellotron samples from @winconway Here on this very forum https://intua.net/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/5824/mellotron-m400s
    Rhodes samples also from the one for Dilla pack (chopped and repitched)

I'm still trying to find some vocal hit/phrase samples to add here and there for a hook or something.

• @tk32 said:

DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 10 MARCH

THANK YOU VERY MUCH B) o:) >:)

• Well Ive had to disqualify myself since using BM3 was driving me crazy. I did however finish a 90s rave track that was all iOS sound sources and mixed in Ableton.
    If anyone else actually finished anything I challenge you to battle me anyways!

Used the new NPD synth for that raunchy lead, Ruismaker Noir for the punchy 808 bass, glitchbreaks, and the iconic Orch2 hit from the Fairlight CMI. Also air horns and other sfx from DubSiren.

• Thanks @Insomniak

Even your disqualified track puts me to shame. I have 2 tracks in progress, but have continued to struggle getting either one finished - even with the deadline extension.

It sounds like a poor excuse, but I've been busy all this month with work, life, book-writing, freelance work, and a little bit of beta testing too.

I've also been thinking about the future of battles on the forum. I'd like it to be easier for people to complete/participate in, and also something that creates reusable banks and sounds for new BeatMakers.

Stay tuned for more info!!

• edited March 2019

I've removed the fixed deadline on this battle whilst we discuss how it might change going forward.

Please do continue to feel free to start, finish and submit entries in the early 90's style - we'd still love to hear what you're working on!!

I'll post my works-in-progess here later today (for you to have a laugh at) ;)

• As the only entrant I’m gonna go ahead and snatch this trophy from your sorry asses and bring it over to the Audiobus forum where any challengers must now battle for its return. No more hiding behind DAW requirements and a tiny field of competitors, let’s see how BM3 fares with REAL competition!

• CONTEST CLOSED

• Soooooooooo. I came here to hear some tracks.