I see 3.0.5 is Live! ... What’s the Word..

Comments

• @ronji said:
    I only had one pre-existing session with AU in it, so hopefully others can chime in and confirm as well =)

This is what scares me. I need to be able to open my old BM3 sessions with AU instruments without crashes

• Calling @tk32, can you confirm you no longer have issues modifying AU patches that existed pre-3.0.4? Anyone else? Pretty sure the bug is squashed =)

• Oh well must be my phone

• edited November 2017

@ronji said:
    Calling @tk32, can you confirm you no longer have issues modifying AU patches that existed pre-3.0.4? Anyone else? Pretty sure the bug is squashed =)

Gonna take the plunge and see what’s up. Will report back
    Edit: seems to be working fine for me as well

• but what’s new? this is the same as in 3.0.4

• @andreasg said:
    but what’s new? this is the same as in 3.0.4

3.0.4 brought all the new features and most of the bug fixes, but 3.0.5 mainly fixed the AU crashing, which was a crucial and much needed update

• edited November 2017

@ronji said:

@5pinlink said:
    The dotted lines are still there and need to work, one simple example, create a ton of notes, select them all, zoom out, near impossible to move them now, white lines was unique and very slick, it needs to come back or be an option ;)

I meant they're visible, as they really should be because it helps you align to the right notes and timeline position, but they don't do anything when touched anymore.

Is this what you were talking about with moving lots of notes? I can do this the same even when the selection is 1cm square from zooming out so much.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/i75g6b4et7hbklv/movingtonsofnotes305.MOV?dl=0

Hows about creating a bunch of small notes together, then moving one in the middle ?
    Or how about moving a note that is smaller than your finger, how do you see what you are moving or where you are moving it to ?
    Also noticed that at first you extended a note in this video, that happens to me all the time.

Features like the dotted lines should not be removed, they should put it as a tick box in prefs, if you prefer it without, turn them off in prefs, they shouldnt punish one user because another user wants a different way of working, zooming to be able to select/move tiny notes all the time has killed my workflow, so much so that i wont actually use BM3 for much anymore, its too much of a pain, i will only use it for basic drum programming.

Hopefully this gets rectified, or MIDI Au implemented so that i dont have to use their sequencer which doesnt work FOR ME PERSONALLY anymore.

• @ronji said:

@andreasg said:
    but what’s new? this is the same as in 3.0.4

3.0.4 brought all the new features and most of the bug fixes, but 3.0.5 mainly fixed the AU crashing, which was a crucial and much needed update

thank you :)

• edited November 2017

@5pinlink I totally get your frustration with that feature change. I was caught off guard by it, but so far it feels to me like the adjustment triangles do mostly the same thing, albeit when moving notes they’re now hidden under your finger. before, you had a long dotted line to grab onto which allowed you to see precisely where the note would land, but now you have to use the far ends of the lines to triangulate the exact position. Is that what’s getting you the most with this change? In my video I intentionally resized the notes with the right handle, but I can see if you select a single note that makes the move and resize handles very close together, so you’d have to kind of exaggerate your touch to the left or right of the note in hopes of getting the handle you want? And then you run the risk of selecting a nearby note or deselecting the one you had selected?

• edited November 2017

Yeah its cumbersome and should be optional ;)

Change for changes sake is normally always madness, look at the new Mute options, every way possible via prefs = perfection :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @5pinlink said:
    Yeah its cumbersome and should be optional ;)

Change for changes sake is normally always madness, look at the new Mute options, every way possible via prefs = perfection :)

totally agree, and I can now see how this will be a pain to deal with. I haven't actually been tryna create anything with 3.0.4/3.0.5 yet, just testing these issues :joy:

• Updated to 3.0.5 without checking in here first, got two minutes in (a whole two minutes of faultless almost zen like productive workflow - record!), was almost able to ignore the redundant ballerina tapping between views... then Zeeon disappears and silence from Model 15 and Ruismaker. I almost had my hopes up. Lads, respects to you all for being proactive. I bring nothing but negativity here as I always feel blocked by the app (not the people). Im sorry about that. I’m actually quite a positive guy and try to keep my humour up, but I’m defeated. Unconditional love to you all. Respects, Nick.

• @triton100 Yes i have in emails about 20 times, i dont bother posting requests or bugs to the forum anymore ;)

• edited November 2017

Yeah hopefully they will, but removal of features for a less featured feature is a big no no in my book, this is not "My first sequencer for ages 6 and up" yes i know thats negative or harsh or whatever else anybody wants to say, i dont care.

• @d4d0ug said:

@5pinlink said:
    Arranger is broken, create an item, duplicate it a few times, try and swipe to move or pinch to zoom, last selected item remains selected and will jump all over the place, press select tool then go back to finger tool will fix.

Hmm. Haven’t been able to reproduce this one.

@ronji made a thread and video ;)

• edited November 2017

Regarding not being able to move notes by using the dotted lines, I had a big WTF moment as well, as I really liked the old way. But actually the updated way of moving notes and groups of notes works quite well. Selecting a note is the same as before. Irrespective of the size of the note the arrows on the left of the selection are the same size. When touching the arrows to move the selection, it will only move either horizontally or vertically depending on what direction you start moving in. So the alignment of the selection in the other direction is locked, which is good, like previously when moving either the horizontal or vertical dotted line. And because the selection alignment is locked in the other direction you can slide your finger to the side of the selection while moving the selection in one direction in order to see it and position it accurately. In fact, now, even for tiny short notes, there is no need to zoom in to be able to grab the left dotted line in order to move the note horizontally. If I recall, in previous versions, in this case both vertical lines would be so close together making grabbing of either one impossible without zooming in.

Touching and moving a note from the center, you can move the selection horizontally and vertically at the same time. But I'm a big fan of the alignment in the other direction being locked while moving in the other for accurate editing. Plus, you can move your finger out of the way so you can see your note while moving it.

• Good points, @gosnote. I accidentally demonstrate the direction lock + move finger out of the way method in the video I shared earlier. When I have some more time to work with the update, I’ll really try and put the new handles to use, see if I hate it or love it.

• edited November 2017

Its cool, if it stays i just wont use BM3 to write any music, just use it as a basic drum machine, unfortunately it doesnt work for me and to be honest i disagree with nearly all of gosnotes points.

But then i am used to DAWs which from this single addition i can see that Intua have no intention of it ever being, so its a no brainer that i wont be writing music in BM3.

No idea how arrows at the start of the item for moving the item placement could ever be integrated with adjustable start of an items content, which is sn essential part of any real DAW.

Like i say though, no bother, pretty obvious that BM3 is not meant to be used as a DAW.

Lets be clear here, a DAW does this...
    Load in a drum loop, you can now drag the left and right edge to shrink or expand the item, so you could move the left and right edges so that it was just an item containing the snare, in no real daw has left edge been to move and right edge been to shrink/expand, this is reinvention of the wheel, and totally pointless.

• Now if we had white lines to move and arrows to shrink/expand, BINGO !!!!

• I do really wish there was a way to adjust the start of a note or pattern or audio clip without moving the whole thing or using the slice tool and creating a separate item. I’m still holding onto hope that even more fixes and refinements will come down the road to make BM3 the best it can be, even if it can’t be the perfect DAW. It does have a ways to go with audio tracks for that (last I checked).

Started typing this before your last post, and I think you might be onto something hahaha. Some clear difference between moving and resizing from beginning or end would be nice, while also not sacrificing work flow efficiency or precision.

• These new arrows work really well for me, thank you very much Intua for this!

• Test 123

• edited November 2017

https://intua.net/forums/discussion/5592/b3-unable-to-start#latest

Just posted in this ^ thread, (twice) but it didn’t move to the top of the forum list?
    This thread move though..

If someone could post in it.
    @mathieugarcia

Cheers,

King

• @ronji said:
    I do really wish there was a way to adjust the start of a note or pattern or audio clip without moving the whole thing or using the slice tool and creating a separate item. I’m still holding onto hope that even more fixes and refinements will come down the road to make BM3 the best it can be, even if it can’t be the perfect DAW. It does have a ways to go with audio tracks for that (last I checked).

Started typing this before your last post, and I think you might be onto something hahaha. Some clear difference between moving and resizing from beginning or end would be nice, while also not sacrificing work flow efficiency or precision.

He reason i am thinking this is unlikely @ronji is because otherwise we are in this situation...
    Heres BM3, you use these white lines to move stuff.
    Heres a new build, you use these arrows no instead to move stuff.
    New workflow.
    Heres a new build, now you use these arrows to shrink/expand stuff and xxx to move stuff.
    New workflow.
    Repeat infinitum.

It becomes circular development and works against the end user, thats why i am sticking with 3.0.3 and recommending snybody actually making music to do the same

• edited November 2017

Actually from Sygmas comment i dont think it would suit all users, i think this is the mutes all over again, it all needs to be in preferences..
    Left arrow size or move.
    Right arrow size or move.
    Left line size or move.
    Right line size or move.
    Thise options really do cover every single workflow ;)

• edited November 2017
    Are we conflating 2 different editing modes here?

For convenience, let's refer to these 2 ideas as
    - 'adjust-left-edge' (extend/contact)
    - 'move-left-edge' (change position without affecting length or contents)

Personally, I've never wanted or needed to 'adjust-left' a midi note -- I'm more than happy to slide it back a few grid spaces and extend/contact from the right as necessary. However, I do often want to 'adjust-left' my audio clips and pattern blocks, which often contain data outside the left boundary.

It seems to me the default behaviour depends on if you're working on arrange/song view (where you would often want to 'adjust-left') and pattern view (where you would usually want 'move-left')