I see 3.0.5 is Live! ... What’s the Word..

Comments

• Like i said, and as you have just proven, it needs to be prefs, i want left edge to shrink/expand on items and notes, thats how all my DAWs work.

• Still no play/stop button when in browser mode.that is huge for me when testing samples. There’s a nice spot right next to the save button.

• @5pinlink said:
    Actually from Sygmas comment i dont think it would suit all users, i think this is the mutes all over again, it all needs to be in preferences..
    Left arrow size or move.
    Right arrow size or move.
    Left line size or move.
    Right line size or move.
    Thise options really do cover every single workflow ;)

+∞

• edited November 2017

@stormywaterz said:
    Still no play/stop button when in browser mode.that is huge for me when testing samples. There’s a nice spot right next to the save button.

“36, Play and stop transport buttons whilst I'm the browser. (Maybe)

@vincent said: That seems logical but doesn't work with our actual layout”

Not sure about that one! “our actual layout”? That may have changed or be changing.
    A lot of Ui changes since version 3.0.
    Anything is possible..

King

• Oh dont get me started on those damn ugly garrish buttons, those are tap buttons, they looked slick before, but the toggles (tools) are still white on slightly less white, dumbfounded lol

• I don't have any other ios Daws. What's the best ios sequencer? What's the best ios piano roll? Intua should just copy those for the defaults then add stuff in preferences for users with different requirements. Doesn't need to be this much drama/lack of cohesion over staple functions that are tried and tested plenty of places elsewhere already...

Personally i'd dig 'shift + drag =move'. 'drag = trim'. But there's no shift button atm and seems like there probably won't be any time soon. BM3 needs to populate that left column with more buttons. Auria/Cubasis etc rely heavily on the shortcuts/function buttons along top/side.. Same as any daw. BM3 is kind of a workflow mess without them... Copy/cut/paste/shift/home(user definable sample folder)/etc etc.... Dunno why none of these are there still???
  • edited November 2017
    Cubasis' midi editor has a small strip of 'modifier' keys on the left, which are the equivalent of holding your free hand* on Shift, Ctrl, Alt (etc) on desktop.

It means you can do simple things like...

- restrict movement to time (X axis)
    - restrict movement to pitch (y axis)
    - resize selected note(s) without accidentally moving them
    - adjust velocity for selected note(s)
    - etc

I find it works really well, and sure there is room for something similar in bm3

*There's no love from Steinberg for the sinister, however, as the strip cannot be banked-right for left-hand dominant users :/
  • edited November 2017
    Yeah agreed. BM3 just needs to lock itself down. Centralise workflow. Everything is crazy scattered at moment. Copy/paste is nested in pop ups/different screen areas per scenario or isn't available. Just one copy/paste button in left column. Easy. And a shift button would remove the need for a ton of other complications/additions.

UI needs a fundamental rethink/overhaul in general asap IMHO before it becomes an irreversible mess of tangled ideas and directions. A ton of stuff can be added in preferences for people to fine tune it to their own needs but the basic default workflow shortcuts etc should just mimic other successful daws/hardware that has similar footprint/functionality...

So many tried and tested examples out there to steal this stuff from... Not sure how it's not been smoothed out yet?

And things like no real resampling, no freeze track and not being able to record a scene performance to song timeline... Just feels too unfinished. I'm sure it'll get worked out eventually but beginning to agree with those that said it was maybe released a little too early.
  • edited November 2017

Son of a ***** just blindly hit all the update buttons in the app store without thinking, is there any way to roll back in IOS ?

Dumb dumb dumb a-hole aaaaaaah :(

• Yeah thats a no then, i never ever use itunes lol
    Repeat
    Dumb dumb dumb a-hole :(

• Reading the thread carefully, I think we can come up with a mix between the old pattern editor dotted lines and the new "arrow" mechanism.

Stay tuned!
    Mathieu.

• edited November 2017
    @StudioES

You should definitely upgrade! The arrows are not bad at all (in fact, most will love them), and everything else added is fantastic!! Swing quantise in the pattern editor, for example, is brilliant and very welcome :)

It's just that there are some hardcore users here who like things to work a certain way (or at least, want enough preferences so that can make it work their way).

Having said all this... I do really miss the convenience of the dotted lines. Can we perhaps have the best of both?

This is not an insult on anyone here, btw.
  • @mathieugarcia said:
    Reading the thread carefully, I think we can come up with a mix between the old pattern editor dotted lines and the new "arrow" mechanism.

Stay tuned!
    Mathieu.

With shrink/expand start and end ?
    I have a mock up on the go, i will send it to you in a bit ;)

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Reading the thread carefully, I think we can come up with a mix between the old pattern editor dotted lines and the new "arrow" mechanism.

Stay tuned!
    Mathieu.

That sounds great!

In my previous post I pointed out that I had identified at least one clear benefit of the new arrow mechanism over the dotted line: being able to move the midi selection even if the midi note/selection length was very short in length (which is the case often when e.g. editing programmed drum sequences) without having to zoom in to be able to grab the left dotted line.

But I loved being able to move selection using the dotted lines (especially that the movement was locked in the other direction which it still is with the arrows) and I agree with other users that the editor needs some refinement to be perfect.

@mathieugarcia
    One fundamental workflow enhancement I think would be to be able to mute individual midi notes in the pattern editor/piano roll. This I think is pretty standard in other daws. I really hope this is coming!

• @mathieugarcia to the rescue :) sounds promising :)
  • @Heyez said:
    @mathieugarcia to the rescue :) sounds promising :)

To be fair he always is, the amount of bugs i have sent him privately that he has crushed would make your head spin ;)

• Yeah man, the app's already developed massively over a short space of time. Still a big supporter. The end product's gonna be worth the wait. Just needs a quick tidy up and some of the big rumoured additions gradually added and job done. Frustratingly until then it's not really something I have time/patience enough to use for anything other than basic sketches or sound design though. But that's probably as much down to my own situation/ios as it is BM3.
  • Personally,

Since BM3 released I've completely switched over to it exclusively from Cubasis and Gadget (and Nanostudio for the 3 years before them)

I think BM3 is already fantastic.. and with the continued support and dedication it seems to be getting, is quickly becoming the most grown-up and leading host/DAW for iOS music production.

I just hope they don't waste time trying to release a compact iPhone version. Personally, I think all focus should be on the iPad.
  • Yeah it's impressive how far things have come in iPad last year or so. BM3 is def at front of the pack in terms of creative ideas/plans. Already destroys the MPC live imo and long term its looking next level in terms of iPad>pc>hardware integration.
  • BM3 is a great app and will get better for sure. Destroyed mpc live to me that's a no. There's something about the mpc hardware that can't be duplicated. I still use BM3 every day tho.
  • Yeah MPC Live is probably cool when you have one. Guess I meant BM3 just destroyed the gas I had to pick one up. Lot of dough to fork out for a very similar function set.
  • I was lucky to shift my Live off to somebody else real quick, they have already dropped down in to the £800s on ebay, the money is still sitting there deciding on an MV or not haha.

• edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Over here in the states the mpc live is still regular price. Haven't seen a price drop on eBay and I'm on everyday looking to buy one. I had an MV, sold it about 6 months ago. The workflow got to slow for me.
  • Second hand not new, When i sold mine it was still early and i got near enough full price back
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xmpc+live.TRS0&_nkw=mpc+live&_sacat=0
    As you can see they are going for between 6-800 a couple of week sold now on Ebay second hand.

MV with monitor and mouse is light years ahead of MPC Live (For me personally) but i have always favoured the Roland sampler sound over any other, so i am probably biased.

• Yeah but going from that price to USD plus shipping is not worth it. I'll keep looking.
    That's cool, I prefer the MPC workflow. The MV just didn't do much for me. Great concept tho but just not my style. Be careful, the mouse has to be one of those old ball mouse or it won't work. It wont even display to external monitor without the correct mouse. You'll get an error.
  • The Roland mouse it shipped with was Optical, they work fine, you just have to get the exact ones (Microsoft ones work fine ;) )

• I still haven’t pressed the update button yet!

Don’t know what I’m waiting for, 3.0.5 sounds too juicy..

King

• edited November 2017
    For the record I think Browser should be full screen for sample session management. Accessing samples and loading banks should be done as a pop up menu in the Bank menu IMHO. Or just add a play stop button somewhere.