›

BM3 Battle #07 - BANK💢BANK💢 (Deadline March 31st for banks, 14th April for songs)

Comments

• Just 4 days to go..

Everyone aiming to submit an entry on the 14th please say ‘Aye’.

Aye.

• edited April 2018

dilly dilly!

• edited April 2018

@tk32 said:

@5pinlink said:
    ...personally i would pitch em up, flange em a little, make a DnB tune lol

I already did that using a couple of the early challenge banks ;)
    (this isn't my entry btw.. it's not Kawaii enough)

Only just noticed this was a link, thought it was just boldtype hahaha, that really needs fixing to a different color @mathieugarcia

Slick by the way, bit too jump up for me, but would probably still pop it in the mix on the bass parts.

• edited April 2018

Thanks 5pin. You've made my day

Unfortunately 'slick' will probably not be the word used to describe my Kawaii effort ;)

• edited April 2018

I tried exporting my track for the first time, to have a clean listen in the car, and BM3 is crashing every time I try to do a master export. =( I haven't troubleshot anything yet, but I'm curious if anyone else is having this problem.

edit: it's crashing somewhere in bar 18, as I can tell it to export up to 17 bars just fine. dang. still investigating.

edit: thankfully there was only one bank that came in at bar 17 (which is weird since I can export a 17 bar duration but not 18), and deleting that bank allows the export to finish completely. I'm only using one pad in that bank, and it doesn't even have anything crazy on it. gonna try some more things to try and get this bank to export.

edit: trimming pad 29 of the GR-16 Dancing Rocker bank down to the start and end points allows the export to finish.

Does anyone else have an export crash if using this pad?

• AHA! Started a new session, threw only the GR-16 Dancing Rocker bank in, programmed a pattern with just a few hits of pad 29, and it exported fine.... Dang. But then I added a 6 band EQ onto the bank and looped the tail of the hit, and it crashes on export. Specifically, to my surprise, it's only crashing if the 6 band EQ is on the bank! Without the EQ, and with the looping tail, no crashes, but add the EQ and crash on export every time. It's late or I'd do some more testing, such as with other pads in the bank and with a totally different bank.

• Okeee - my first BM3 track, its pretty silly but I learned a ton. Thanks for doing this challenge thing, its a pretty fun way to get motivated. I'll try and contribute samples n stuff for the next one.

I'm busy the next few days so u/ling tonight in case I don't get a chance tomorrow. Cheers!

• Thanks Scott,

I am out and without headphones at the moment, so looking forward to returning to my desk so I can have a proper listen!

• Hey @scottsunn, I love your bricolage style.

Reminds me of old Coldcut records :)

• @tk32 said:
    Reminds me of old Coldcut records :)

Thanks, sorta randomly worked out that way... I do like that old ninja tune vibe. The guitar sound was actually piano, and most melodies are the flute. The bendy thing was the frantic flute section copied and switched to portamento mode - crazy how many different sounds you can wrangle from the sampler.. I wanted to have time to put some mastering on it, but have been slammed with work. Listening to it in my car it sounds very different, especially the end - can’t really hear the pitched snares. My next self education will likely be mastering, let me know if anyone has links etc to their favorite mastering techniques.

• Tonight's the night ;)

• Can't wait to get my submission finished, and to hear everyone else's =)

Btw, I emailed a session with the bank that was causing me export crashes to @mathieugarcia, and he has it fixed for 3.1. Another workaround he suggested was turning disk streaming off for the pad. =)

• edited April 2018

Things I finally learned this battle:

• turning up the buffer to 1024 eliminates the crackles
    • trimming the pads that use a small bit of a long sample or turning disk streaming on can greatly reduce RAM usage

• edited April 2018

tk32 - Gaijin Desu

(apologies I didn't manage to use something from every bank!)
    see a few posts above for a screengrab of my banks/timeline

• edited April 2018

Using every bank would be very difficult! I used something from each submitter, which was difficult enough for me. I wanted to use a few more banks than I ultimately ended up using, but I think it would have required me to redo some parts. This was probably my most complex track made in BM3 so far. Thanks for all the great banks, everyone!

• edited April 2018

Yeah, I really enjoyed composing with a strictly random and limited mixture of user-submitted banks. Great idea, and great bank submissions.
    I also had a crack at making my track in the Kawaii style as @starpause suggested. Not sure I succeeded but it was fun anyway :) I also made a several other short tracks using these banks which I might share at some point

• I'm sure @starpause will be happy to extend the deadline a little for you (although he has been AWOL for over a week now)

• Awesome entries so far !!!

• Well. I think i missed the deadline, but had fun playing around with the awesome sample kits and learned some new tricks ;-)

Hope to deliver a Kit too next time.

• Its still the 14th somewhere ;)

• edited April 2018

Excellent entries everyone!

If anyone else out there is close to submitting something please feel free to post in the next 12 hours.

Publishing tracks is a really important part of your growth as a musician, so I really encourage everyone to try doing it, even if you feel your tracks might be a little unpolished.

• edited April 2018

P.s. what happened to the entries we were expecting from @denx, @DeanDaughters, @Heyez and @GusGranite ??

I was looking forward to those..

• @tk32

@denx said:
    Off to the mountains (not metaphorically) so I won’t be able to join in this time. Looks like rain all week, though 😂. Looking forward to hearing your sumbissions when I’m back. Good luck and good fun!

Sorry 😉

• Love the entries. Very dope.

I tried and failed!
    I went down a rabbit hole with mine and couldn’t pull it together in time. Going to still work on it but I’m a way off so not trying to meet any deadline now.

FAIL = first attempt in learning :wink:

• Really great entries, guys!

Sorry, no entry from me this round. :'(

I got really sick with a horrendous cold/flu(?) over 2 weeks ago and i'm still not feeling better.
    Did manage to make a kick drum from a single cycle kawaii sine wave, and a pad patch from layering a few more single cycles from the kawaii bank. But, that was as far as I was able to get - I haven't really been doing much of anything other than feeling weak and hoping to feel better soon...

Really great entries, guys!

• @DeanDaughters said:

Sorry, no entry from me this round. :'(

I got really sick with a horrendous cold/flu(?) over 2 weeks ago and i'm still not feeling better.
    Did manage to make a kick drum from a single cycle kawaii sine wave, and a pad patch from layering a few more single cycles from the kawaii bank. But, that was as far as I was able to get - I haven't really been doing much of anything other than feeling weak and hoping to feel better soon...

Get well soon! Nice job with your Sample Pack, Sir.

I have to say, really cool entries y‘all!

Best Regards
    Sedat

• edited April 2018

Man i listened again to all entries. What i loved about this beat battle was that everybody has the same starting point and every entry is completely different. Very cool idea and was fun to create with a „limited“ amount of sound sources ;-)

• @scottsunn said:

Okeee - my first BM3 track, its pretty silly but I learned a ton. Thanks for doing this challenge thing, its a pretty fun way to get motivated. I'll try and contribute samples n stuff for the next one.

I'm busy the next few days so u/ling tonight in case I don't get a chance tomorrow. Cheers!

damn this took me back to Amon Tobin and good old Ninja Tune. Love it!