Audiokit Digital D1 - Doesn’t Record In BM3

Hi All,

I recently purchased D1 Digital Synth by Audiokit Pro. It’s a great app, and a source for a lot of inspiring sounds. Unfortunately, when I try and record anything in BM3, the sounds quickly change tempo, synch, and general behaviour changes. This happens whenever the Play or Record buttons are pressed. I have no idea how to fix this issue. The issue is non existent when you’re just messing around and testing patches without playing against a metronome or recording.

I tried reinstalling the app but that didn’t work. The IAA also doesn’t work and gives me an error message every single time I try and load up an instance.

Any help here would be appreciated. I really want this app to work!

@analogMatt

Tagged:

Comments

• What iOS version are you on?

• Sounds like it could be caused by a samplerate mismatch. Try changing BM3's samplerate from 48khz to 44.1khz (or vice versa) and see if that solves some of the problems. Also check D1's audio settings.

IAA is a bad technology, and has always been the source of annoying bugs and limitations. The sooner it is completely replaced with auv3, the better.

It is no accident that the developer of NS2 chose not to support IAA at all. A smart decision, IMHO.

• @cthulufunk said:
    What iOS version are you on?

I’m on the latest version 13.2.3

• @tk32 said:
    Sounds like it could be caused by a samplerate mismatch. Try changing BM3's samplerate from 48khz to 44.1khz (or vice versa) and see if that solves some of the problems. Also check D1's audio settings.

I think you may have uncovered another issue for me. I can’t change the sample rate from 48khz to 44.1khz. When I go to change it, it doesn’t accept the change when I tap on 44.1khz. This is so strange.... Is there away around this or do I have to reinstall BM3?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

• @Novicane

Perhaps it's because you are using an audio interface fixed at 48khz? or wireless headphones?

It's also possible there is an IAA app in the background locking your ipad to 48khz. Try force quitting any ghost IAAs, or restarting the iPad

and lastly, make sure that "high quality measurement mode" is OFF in BM3's settings.

• @tk32 said:
    @Novicane

Perhaps it's because you are using an audio interface fixed at 48khz? or wireless headphones?

It's also possible there is an IAA app in the background locking your ipad to 48khz. Try force quitting any ghost IAAs, or restarting the iPad

and lastly, make sure that "high quality measurement mode" is OFF in BM3's settings.

All I'm using is the iPad dongle to connect my headphones (3.5m) and my DT 770 Pro Beyerdynamic headphones so that shouldn't interfere with the samplerate. I don't have any instances of an IAA loaded up, nor can I see any loaded up on any of the tracks. I still can't change 48khz to 44.1khz.

I turned off the High Quality Measurement, but the audio issues still persist. A restart of the iPad did not fix this problem either. Here are my BM3 settings if that helps at all:

Audio:

Background Audio: On
    Output Sample Rate: 48000 Hz
    Latency: 512 sampes
    Recording Bit Depth: 24-bits
    High-Quality (Measurement Mode): Off

Sync:

Ableton: Off
    Midi Clock: Off
    Midi Clock Out: Off

Midi:

Input Devices:
    Power On - BeatMaker 3 - Sync (off)
    Power On - Network Session 1 - Sync (off)

Output Devices:
    Power On - BeatMaker 3 - Sync (off)
    Power On - Network Session 1 - Sync (off)

Again, I appreciate you problem solving this with me.

• edited November 2019

This is a bit strange.

I wonder if my good knowledgeable buddies @StudioES @mefisme and @samu may have any suggestions? (Or any of the other good friends I haven’t @‘d)

• On some iPad's it's simply impossible to select the 44.1k sample-rate unless using an external audio interface.
    I'm on an iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.2.3 and have no problems selecting 44.1k or 48k.

As for the sample-rate problems they are a pita, some plug-ins ignore host-sample rate and use the hardware sample-rate that can cause problems such as 'out of tune' and 'cracking up' (when plug-in runs at 48k and host at 44.1k or vice versa).

For now BM3 lacks a proper 'track freeze' so the suggestion I have here is to use the AUv3 version of D1, record the midi and then use an audio-track that records the output from the plug-in (using the bank/pad where the AUv3 us hosted as the source).

For devices that lock the sample-rate to 48k the solution for now is to use an external audio-interface.

• @StudioES said:
    Latest iPad Pro? The DAC inside is locked at 48kHz when using the built-in speakers & USB-C>3.5mm adapter>headphones (3-pole plug). For 44.1kHz, either use headsets (4-pole plug) or an external audio interface.

Yes, I bought the latest iPad Pro. I don't know what a 4-pole plug is tbh... In the past I was able to change from 44.1 to 48 easily with the same set up of headphones. I have an amplifier for my headphones that I occasionally use which is the FIIO Portable Headphone Amplifier but using it or not using it still wont let me change 48khz to 44.1khz.

• @samu said:
    On some iPad's it's simply impossible to select the 44.1k sample-rate unless using an external audio interface.
    I'm on an iPad Air 2, iPadOS13.2.3 and have no problems selecting 44.1k or 48k.

As for the sample-rate problems they are a pita, some plug-ins ignore host-sample rate and use the hardware sample-rate that can cause problems such as 'out of tune' and 'cracking up' (when plug-in runs at 48k and host at 44.1k or vice versa).

For now BM3 lacks a proper 'track freeze' so the suggestion I have here is to use the AUv3 version of D1, record the midi and then use an audio-track that records the output from the plug-in (using the bank/pad where the AUv3 us hosted as the source).

For devices that lock the sample-rate to 48k the solution for now is to use an external audio-interface.

I can't record anything because the sound while playing is so out of tune with the metronome that it screws everything up especially on patches that use an ARP. When I press PLAY or RECORD in BM3 the patches that use the ARP are delayed by a beat it seems or they just behave very strangely. I have tried to record directly into the sampler without pressing play but the tempo still doesn't line up.

This really sucks.... I wonder if I have to reinstall BM3 altogether. There was a moment and time when I was able to switch sample rates. This is really frustrating and BM3 is nowhere to help. Damn

• Thanks > @StudioES said:

Try a set with a mic which will have a 4-pole plug, like the Apple EarPods which used to come with new iPhones.

I recently tested:
    2015 iPhone 6s Plus: Speakers locked at 48kHz. 3-pole & 4-pole allows switching to 44.1kHz.
    2019 iPad Air 3 & Mini 5: Speakers locked at 48kHz. 3-pole locked at 48kHz. 4-pole allows switching to 44.1kHz.
    2018 iPad Pro 11 w/ USB-C>3.5mm: Speakers locked at 48kHz. 3-pole locked at 48kHz. Didn't test 4-pole.
    2018 iPad 6th Gen: Speakers allow switching to 44.1kHz or 48kHz. 3-pole allows switching to 44.1kHz or 48kHz.
    2017 iPad Pro 10.5: Speakers allow switching to 44.1kHz or 48kHz. 3-pole allows switching to 44.1kHz or 48kHz.
    2013 iPad Mini 2: Speakers allow switching to 44.1kHz or 48kHz. 3-pole allows switching to 44.1kHz or 48kHz.

Hey StudioES, thanks for the explanation. I actually learned something new today regarding 4 pole and 3 pole headphones. I found a pair with a mic that had a 4 pole plug (Bose SoundSport) and tested it with BM3. I still wasn't able to switch from 48Hz to 44.1Hz. Does that mean anything? I have a the iPad model MTXT2VC/A.

• Update - I decided to delete BM3 altogether and reinstall it. Once I did that, I was able to switch between 48khz and 44.1khz readily.

I tested a pair of 3 pole headphones and 4 pole headset w/ mic and they both work in either sample rate and am able to switch between. D1 is now perfectly in sync with the metronome and not doing the funky timing thing it was doing before.

Thank you to everyone on this thread for jumping in and trying to problem solve. I really appreciate everyone’s responses and hope that someone going through a similar challenge can see this. The solution to reinstall is less than ideal but at least it works right!?

Thanks!

• Glad you can enjoy BM3 unhindered again @Novicane

I know I'd be pretty annoyed if something affected my ability to make music with this mighty app.

Thanks everyone who chimed in to help. This forum may be a little quieter lately, but there is a still a strong core of helpful and knowledgeable fans active. Thanks guys.

• edited November 2019

Just caught/saw this thread - (thought it may have been ALink related)..

———-

Anyway, (to whom it may concern), I don’t hear about this iOS feature that much, “Offload”, but I use it before ‘completely’ deleting an app with an issue.
    It has worked/helped many times (no every, but many), and saves my data/settings:

✌🏼

King
    P.S. if you want to, you can even reboot your device in between Offloading and Reinstalling.

• Really nice tip.

Thanks @KING :+1:

• Thanks @tk32

@KING Wow... This is a pro tip!

• @StudioES said:
    So I bought D1. The arp & sequencer drift after a few measures when sync'd to BM3. Same in AUM, though not as noticeable. It's worse than Sunrizer, if anyone's keeping notes.
    2018 iPad 6th Gen & 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. iPadOS 13.2.3. Internal audio; 44.1kHz. No external peripherals.

I started this thread because of this issue. The problem is back for me and it’s really frustrating not to be able to use D1 because if this. Does your issue only happen when recording or when play is pressed? I don’t know how to fix this, if you figure it out, please let me know.

Are & Sequencer on D1 Synth lags when you press it when recording or when play is pressed on the track. I can confirm that this also happens in Cubasis 3 as well so I’m lead to believe it’s a D1 issue and not a BM3. Can someone confirm?

I can’t change my sample rate, it’s locked at 48khz.

• @Novicane said:

@StudioES said:
    So I bought D1. The arp & sequencer drift after a few measures when sync'd to BM3. Same in AUM, though not as noticeable. It's worse than Sunrizer, if anyone's keeping notes.
    2018 iPad 6th Gen & 2017 iPad Pro 10.5. iPadOS 13.2.3. Internal audio; 44.1kHz. No external peripherals.

I started this thread because of this issue. The problem is back for me and it’s really frustrating not to be able to use D1 because if this. Does your issue only happen when recording or when play is pressed? I don’t know how to fix this, if you figure it out, please let me know.

Are & Sequencer on D1 Synth lags when you press it when recording or when play is pressed on the track. I can confirm that this also happens in Cubasis 3 as well so I’m lead to believe it’s a D1 issue and not a BM3. Can someone confirm?

I can’t change my sample rate, it’s locked at 48khz.

I’d recommend also contacting Audiokit Pro in case the issue is on their side.

• @analogMatt - Would you have any updates on this? It seems there's a group of us who can't change the sample rate of BM3 to help with this D1 Synth issue.

• Thanks all – I actually do have some optimistic news with regards to AudioKit AUv3 support and BM3. Myself and another dev have been writing some new AUv3 code from scratch that will be ready for folks here to test in a couple of weeks. If anyone here wants to beta the new code (and a hot new app), feel free to email me at matthew@audiokitpro.com

• Hey everyone,
    Hope you're healthy and staying positive and creative.

We've been spending weeks creating new AUv3 code that works better in BM3. We think we've finally got it.
    The first app to use this new code is the new BASS 808 synth dropping today at Noon EST.

We're hoping to add this new code to D1 as well.
    I know things maybe rough for some of you right now with everything going on. If you bought D1 in the past and you're unable to purchase this 808 Bass app right now, you can email me personally and I'll get you a promo code next week when things settle down.

You can learn more about this new app here:
    https://audiokitpro.com/bass808/

Please take care of yourselves and fellow musicians.
    And thank you again,
    Matthew

• Heck yeah, great news. Love D1 despite the issues I’ve had. Please make some kind of 80’s Prophet VS inspired Vector Synth in the future. I‘d love an iOS version of the old Augur VST.

@analogMatt said:
    Hey everyone,
    Hope you're healthy and staying positive and creative.

We've been spending weeks creating new AUv3 code that works better in BM3. We think we've finally got it.
    The first app to use this new code is the new BASS 808 synth dropping today at Noon EST.

We're hoping to add this new code to D1 as well.
    I know things maybe rough for some of you right now with everything going on. If you bought D1 in the past and you're unable to purchase this 808 Bass app right now, you can email me personally and I'll get you a promo code next week when things settle down.

You can learn more about this new app here:
    https://audiokitpro.com/bass808/

Please take care of yourselves and fellow musicians.
    And thank you again,
    Matthew

• Hi all, just I’m also using D1 in BM3, which are both super dope apps. I meet an issue while using D1 in BM ; here’s what happens a lot of times :

• I record a melody I play with a MIDI controller ( AKAI Mpk mini 2)
      -As I want to listen the pattern I played, it appears that one or more notes are not played, which is very un wanted while you are looping or audio recording.
      Anyone met this issue ?
      I bought Bass808, which is a beast of stability. Congrats AudioKitPro : this one is also a killer app !!!