BM3 Templates (New!)

Comments

• edited January 2018

@KurrentlyKorg said:
    What did you use to unzip?

I unzipped with BM3. I tested the original version on 4 different iPads and did not do what you had mentioned. But it's okay, I pulled all the special characters from the directory on the chance of potential problems such as this.

EDIT: as I said earlier...there are no more special characters in the directory structure. Only within the project files. Please download the new version and get back with me.

• @mefisme said:

@KurrentlyKorg said:
    What did you use to unzip?

I unzipped with BM3. I tested the original version on 4 different iPads and did not do what you had mentioned. But it's okay, I pulled all the special characters from the directory on the chance of potential problems such as this.

EDIT: as I said earlier...there are no more special characters in the directory structure. Only within the project files. Please download the new version and get back with me.

Oh wow, BM3 can unzip, ok then haha. Never even crossed my mind.

Everything is locked, loaded, and ready to go now. Sorry for being a bit of a dingus.

Id like to extend my thanks to you for making this and being an all around cool and helpful dude.

Mefisme
    Man of The People, Maker of The Beat

• @KurrentlyKorg thanks. Lol. Now go tinker. You'll learn so much about BeatMaker 3 with this. If you don't know how to use it, Thats okay. We all are learning and BM3 is super powerful. At it's heart is the most powerful Resampling engine ever on iOS. The ApC40 does some interesting things with BM3. I haven't been able to get videos done for a few reasons:
    1. My two year old is a handful.
    2. My two year old also broke my tripod over the holidays during family photos.
    3. I have to teach functionality clearly as possible to prevent confusion

If you have a question, post it here. I'll do my best to answer. Peace out!

• Is there anything special that has to be done for the focus action templates to work?

Nothing is registering (knobs, transport, etc) except for pads, but those are only activating the pad that’s currently selected. In my focus action settings it shows to the left of the midi ch / cc for each action.

As a test, I manually mapped the metronome to the same midi it was already assigned to and then disappeared and it started working.

• edited January 2018

@KurrentlyKorg said:
    Is there anything special that has to be done for the focus action templates to work?

Nothing is registering (knobs, transport, etc) except for pads, but those are only activating the pad that’s currently selected. In my focus action settings it shows to the left of the midi ch / cc for each action.

As a test, I manually mapped the metronome to the same midi it was already assigned to and then disappeared and it started working.

Does any focus action say <NOT CONNECTED>? The metronome and transport loop are on channel 9 (the Master button on APC40) on all included Focus Actions. The buttons are as follows:
    Metronome is the metronome.
    Transport loop is the record quantization button.

• I did test with two separate APC40s and both worked which led me to believe independent hardware IDs were ignored. You may want to try turning the APC40 on before opening Beatmaker 3 on first try. If it doesn’t register your APC40 at all without remapping I may have a much deeper problem.

• Yeah, all focus actions say “not connected” next to them. Looks like that part was mistaken for a snippet of script and removed from my original post. I’ve tried restarting the iPad, turning on the the apc, and starting BM3 multiple times in different orders. Not Connected error every time.

I was just using the metronome as an example because i thought it wasstrange that remapping an action to what it was already mapped to made the error go away / fixed the problem.

• @KurrentlyKorg said:
    Yeah, all focus actions say “not connected” next to them. Looks like that part was mistaken for a snippet of script and removed from my original post. I’ve tried restarting the iPad, turning on the the apc, and starting BM3 multiple times in different orders. Not Connected error every time.

I was just using the metronome as an example because i thought it wasstrange that remapping an action to what it was already mapped to made the error go away / fixed the problem.

You have just confirmed I can't share a midi template at all then. And all the work I put in was pointless. Guess the iOS stores the hardware ID in the .ktext. I'd only be able to confirm by factory restoring my iPad. You are probably right. I'm sorry to all if every focus action says NOT CONNECTED. This will have to be the way it stays if true. Which means my focus actions I provided are only good for a reference to what I've mapped out in the top thread. This just downright sucks. Sighs my deepest apologies.

• So it recognizes the same device as a different device on each iPad ?

• @5pinlink said:
    So it recognizes the same device as a different device on each iPad ?

Well I’m not exactly sure yet but I think so. I tested this with two iPads and two APC40s before release. This is what led me to believe the APC40 hardware ID didn’t matter. But what I didn’t test was a fresh iPad state. If I factory restore either iPad then load the focus actions and it doesn’t recognize the device (shows NOT CONNECTED, then Apple would be storing the IDs of a controller on a per iPad basis. Meaning even if it is the same device, the iPad doesn’t know this or BM3 doesn’t. This is a big mess to me. We literally can’t share focus actions. But I don’t know why.

• Ok, well i am trying to find an APC 40, but @mathieugarcia can you give any advice on this ?

• @5pinlink said:
    Ok, well i am trying to find an APC 40, but @mathieugarcia can you give any advice on this ?

Man, being a developer of all the midi protocols with Apple. I sure would love to know. Thanks @5pinlink for checking in. Really am.

• @5pinlink said:
    Ok, well i am trying to find an APC 40, but @mathieugarcia can you give any advice on this ?

You might be able to test this with any controller. Not just the APC40. Like you and another have the same controller but one of you has never used the same controller on that iPad. May find focus actions Templates can’t be shared at all. Anywhere and in any way.

• Only controller i use currently with iPad is Xkey Air, that has very minimal controls available.

• @5pinlink said:
    Only controller i use currently with iPad is Xkey Air, that has very minimal controls available.

So all you would need to do is create a focus action and find someone with the same controller and send the focus action to them. If they get NOT CONNECTED this is either Apple’s doing or the .bma file is storing hardware IDs. I’m probably one of the few individuals trying to use focus actions as shareable presets. With the inclusion of iOS11 files system plus being able to share effect presets I got it somewhere in my head that I could do the same with focus actions especially after testing with two of my own devices and two separate controllers. Everything seemed golden, til I shared it publicly and @KurrentlyKorg really wanted to use the template. He’s been a big help so far.

Either way the template is very malleable and even has certain uses for any controller or touch only users. Its easy to map by following an image or if I post a video. It’s just one of those buzzkills you know? Lol.

• Yep, i dont think there is anybody here who uses the Xkey Air.

• Someone found a similar issue with iDAM. I think it's related to the ID we store to identify the device. They might be different for each device of the same model. I'll check this out for sure!

Cheers.

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Someone found a similar issue with iDAM. I think it's related to the ID we store to identify the device. They might be different for each device of the same model. I'll check this out for sure!

Cheers.

Awesome. Thanks for looking out. When you have time of course.

• edited January 2018

I can confirm that we store the unique ID assigned by the USB/MIDI driver, so while it is stable across one device / port, that won't work if you share the template. It should be possible to re-assign the macros on a specific device.

This is obviously needed for making focus actions templates shareable!

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• edited January 2018

@mathieugarcia said:
    I can confirm that we store the unique ID assigned by the USB/MIDI driver, so while it is stable across one device / port, that won't work if you share the template. It would make sense to store the device manufacturer + model as well and check that if the unique ID wasn't found.

This is obviously needed for making focus actions templates shareable!

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

Doesn't that create way too much work for you? Wouldn't you have to start supporting controllers within focus actions or would programming this in do it all automatically? This would obviously be one of the most unique features to BM3 with multiple people. Sharing focus actions is such a cool idea to me I guess.

• Not really! The device manufacturer / model is readily available and just need to be stored. One easy way to do it is also to let the user reassign the actions on one of the connected device. Easy!

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Not really! The device manufacturer / model is readily available and just need to be stored. One easy way to do it is also to let the user reassign the actions on one of the connected device. Easy!

Dude. Massive feature completely unique to any other app if you implement. Sharing is core IMO.

Playing the story out with feature:
    Person 1: that's a cool mapping I've got the same controller wanna jam together?
    Person 2: yeah here's the mappings.
    Person 1 and 2 in 30 seconds are jamming together with their own iPad And midi controllers. Crowd goes wild, musicians are head bobbing!

Without feature:
    Person 1:. That's a cool mapping I've got the same controller wanna jam together?
    Person 2:. Call me later when you get it mapped. later.

No one jams. Sad day.

Lol.

• Since a lot of efforts have been put for the APC40 template, I went the extra mile and 3.0.9 will bring the ability to re-assign focus actions to a different controller. The option will be located in the "•••" menu of the same screen.

Cheers!

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Since a lot of efforts have been put for the APC40 template, I went the extra mile and 3.0.9 will bring the ability to re-assign focus actions to a different controller. The option will be located in the "•••" menu of the same screen.

Cheers!

jawdrop. You didn’t have to rush to do that at all for 3.09 given you probably have many other things to address. Thanks very much.

@KurrentlyKorg
    It looks like you should be able to reassign my mapping’s to your controller in the next release of BM3 if you haven’t already! As well as anybody else with their own mappings/Templates! :)

• Damn 3.0.9 is the biggest update so far !!!!

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Damn 3.0.9 is the biggest update so far !!!!

Agreed. Aside from all the cool UI improvements and major mixer love, the inclusion of audio track Love is a big winner. Takes full advantage of BM3 resampling engine. Improves every workflow aspect being able to now bounce to audio anything. I get to stay self contained and focused in BM3.

••• <—I can guarantee this is smart. Major UI organizer. IPhone BM3 anyone. I see it coming soon. Lol!

And then he pops out of nowhere and throws in focus action reassignment (making focus actions shareable) I’m going to go rename my MAIN OUT channel @mathieugarcia LOL.

• edited January 2018

So I know 3.09 isn't out yet and not many if anyone has been able to use my template, but I bought Rozeta folks by @brambos with much thanks to @5pinlink for answering my questions.

It's even more awesome than I thought it was going to be.

So here's what I'm thinking of doing...

Introducing bank presets for plugins with the APC40 template!

In a future release...Starting with Rozeta Rhythm for the template, You'll be able to load the bank preset on any APC40 bank you desire, set the channel on the bank that corresponds to whichever APC40 channel, and trigger Rozetta completely independent of which bank your on. Perform, Loop, Resample, use the Fast Knobs, Repeats as if Rozeta Rhythm was already there in BM3! I've also set it up in such a way that you can play Rozeta Rhythm like it isn't a sequencer if you wish. Yeah that's right. Nuts. Stay tuned.

Again, thanks to @5pinlink for answering my questions so I could make up my mind to buy it @brambos , this is great software!

Droolz

• Dont blame me, you fell down this rabbit hole on your own lol

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Dont blame me, you fell down this rabbit hole on your own lol

Its my fault.. I rolled with it. In all seriousness, thanks for answering my questions. I edited the post to reflect properly :wink:

• @mefisme is it too much to ask for a Quick video of your APC40 in action with your Template? Curiosity is killing me on how this actually works using the iPad!! I haven’t touch my APC in over 2 years since I put my Laptops to permanent rest and went strictly IOS. Am dying to dust off the old controller and get her back in action.

Please, Please Please?

B1Gs