BM3 Templates (New!)

Comments

• @5pinlink said:
    You have as much chance teaching me music theory as flying to the moon, so good luck haha.

You might be surprised. The bank changes the perspective of all scales and chords in such a way that is easier to understand than the way Intua have implemented as default. You will be able to play chord progressions with this as well, but instead of chords actually playing out, they are chord teachers instead.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink And scales will show you now the notes that are not in a specifically viewed key. They are still playable in that key. Regardless I am very excited for anyone who wants to learn pad based key performance. This Bank also teaches you fingerings and strengthens your hands as a musician.

• @mefisme said:
    I have something up my sleeve for users I think they will truly appreciate. It's a very special performance/practice bank and educative bank that also teaches core music theory. More details soon!

Amazing news! Something I personally am really looking forward to - more than you’ll ever know!!
    Now stop posting comments here and get back to working on this project. 😜 🤪 🙃

• @J_B1GS said:

@mefisme said:
    I have something up my sleeve for users I think they will truly appreciate. It's a very special performance/practice bank and educative bank that also teaches core music theory. More details soon!

Amazing news! Something I personally am really looking forward to - more than you’ll ever know!!
    Now stop posting comments here and get back to working on this project. 😜 🤪 🙃

Thanks! then you will definitely like this bank. On the surface it's
    just a trainer, but it's also a very powerful tool either as a bank itself or by copying a pad from it to another bank. Also, this entire project is being rebuilt to support all users and other big plans hopefully the entire BM3 community would be interested in participating. 1.3 will be awhile before it gets uploaded.

• edited February 2018

@J_B1GS @KurrentlyKorg or any other user with an APC40. I’m looking for a tester to test something. When sharing this, originally focus actions could not be reassigned to your controllers. Then, @mathieugarcia implemented this out of nowhere which was such a kind gesture by him. It made sharing controller presets and other things possible. However, now I need someone to test if pad or bank assignments automatically assign to your controller or if each need to be setup independently per user. Since my BM3 setup recognizes my hardware devices, everything automatically works. Would anybody be up to test this for me?

• @mefisme check your inbox for pm

• The new keys and scales bank I'm working on turns paging on performance view into modal scale playing. Making chord progressions and scale playing even more unique. Even if you don't know music theory. This will be very fun for users

• edited February 2018

@mefisme said:
    The new keys and scales bank I'm working on turns paging on performance view into modal scale playing. Making chord progressions and scale playing even more unique. Even if you don't know music theory. This will be very fun for users

Failed to mention you will be able to build your own scales and chord pads with this as well. Not limited to BM3s chords. Those turn into chord trainers. Scales mode will still function but will now show you the notes that aren't in the scale pad you are viewing/playing. Also handy.

• looking forward to actually trying out such a bank rather than reading about it! =D

• edited February 2018

@ronji said:
    looking forward to actually trying out such a bank rather than reading about it! =D

Haha. I'm sorry I talk too much about this. Here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to release the bank as a separate resource for everyone. I'm not done yet but If you want I can release it early. Will have major/natural minor/pentatonics only if I do. The rest of the scales you can always learn yourself or build yourself with my ERNs (I'll explain later) I can always release a new zip. I think I'm going to do that. <3

• yes! this seems like something that will be easy to update in bm3 anyway. get the new updated version and overwrite the old one (unless there's a reason to keep the old one). =)

• edited February 2018

@ronji said:
    yes! this seems like something that will be easy to update in bm3 anyway. get the new updated version and overwrite the old one (unless there's a reason to keep the old one). =)

No the old one is actually just my unfinished version. When I Release an update to it, just overwrite or delete old one. The only reason to keep the old one is if you don't like the new one. I'll have backups for everyone so no big.

• @mefisme I meant when you release this separate bank before it's complete, it's no worries cuz it'll be useful in its current state but also easy to update =)

• can we use an apc40 and mpd218 at the same time. One for 64 pads and one for 16 pad modes?

• edited February 2018

Not really, 16 or 64 pad mode would still be using the per pad or per bank MIDI settings, you cant have two MIDI controllers/messages controlling the same pad currently (each only has 1 MIDI input)

• edited February 2018

@Shazamm your 16/64 views are not independent but you can use them at the same time with proper setup. Instead of having simultaneous midi inputs per pad. Use link groups and each controller can trigger the same or different sounds and in different keys. The MPD I think has an editor for further customization. I haven't played with one except in a store. No templates made for it yet.

• edited February 2018

So set up each controller per page and then link back, interesting idea, this would be another "load empty samples" thing again right.
    64 pad on page 1 using bank input, then 1-16 page 2 per pad input linked back to page 1.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink said:
    So set up each controller per page and then link back, interesting idea, this would be another "load empty samples" thing again right.
    64 pad on page 1 using bank input, then 1-16 page 2 per pad input linked back to page 1.

Don’t have to use empty samples. Pads still output midi just the same regardless what’s in them or how they are assigned. Still not sure if linking across banks is ready for prime time. It would be best to do multicontroller setups in a single bank. Or dedicated banks for certain controllers.

• edited February 2018

Link doesnt work across banks at all, and there are no link settings unless a sample or plugin is loaded, the only way to do it is how i suggested ;)

Unless the two devices have hardware MIDI ports, that is an entirely different proposition, just plug one in to the other and pass the data thru.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink just realized what you were questioning. Yes, any sample gets you the link, but I delete the layer, sample goes by bye and link still exists for that pad. So you don’t have to use an empty sample. Just delete the layer the sample created. I was talking about something different entirely when it comes to linking across banks (there is no setting for this, and I can only get it working for the same controller and the pads have to match grid position and hardware midi values.)

• ADVANCED ROUTING-Linking Across Banks

• So then it wont work with a 16 and 64 pad controller if it needs to be the same controller, so just using page two like i said is the way to go.

• @5pinlink said:
    So then it wont work with a 16 and 64 pad controller if it needs to be the same controller, so just using page two like i said is the way to go.

Lets kill the idea of linking across banks for a moment. I don't use it often at all enough for it to warrant any value yet. A user; however, can assign pads to different devices regardless of bank controller assignment. The bank controller assignment is like a default. But the channel isnt. Whole bank can default to one controller or pads can be assigned to specific controllers. The only requirement is channels would have to match though and this is only if you are setting a bank to a specific controllers channel. Single channel ALL is powerful as well. So is NONE.

• edited February 2018

@5pinlink I almost always assign AU plugins in their own bank. That is templated out based on controllers I have or don't have. This way any pad across all other banks can listen to the input and I trigger it either as a focus action or by bank listen or by this linking across banks I'm talking about. I personally want software midi thru or the ability to override channel type per pad.

• edited February 2018

The only way it will work is how i said, i tested it, its the only way it could wok.

• Empty wavs will now serve a third purpose in a future release with the new Modulations tool bank. You will be able to assign modulations to the empty WAVs respectively named for each potential modulatable paramater. Doing so requires less work than modulating the individual samples and is also non-destructive to your sample management. Effectively speeding up your workflow and allowing you use an external controllers available encoders regardless of macro limitation.

For example, the APC40 has tons of individual CCs. Release 1.3 will move macros 1-8 to the global device control under master. You will now be able to use each track selections device control encoders 1-8 for tune, pan, gain, saturation, layer fx, and other modulatable paramaters all from a single pad or multiple pads. Complete modulation independence! Nuts!

This new bank will also be usuable by any user type (external, virtual, iPad only). It is not limited by the apc40.

If users would like a howto on how to build this now without the wait, let me know and I'll do a tutorial. Peace out! 1.3 is taking some time since it's a complete rebuild.

• A little glimpse of the new file directory structure for next release. Confused yet? Don’t be. Everything will be understood later. You also won’t have to browse this directory structure all the time as BM3 tagging system will be fully utilized for most things. Just prepping for exciting things for everyone. Some items will be able to be completely MOVED/DELETED. Sample packs, certain presets, certain controller resources, etc should you choose to do so.

\ROOTDIRNAME\

\__resources__
         \_Controllers 
              \APC40MK1
                   \Focus Actions Templates
                   \MIDI Maps
         \_Documentation
         \_Tutorials
         \_ZIPs
         \Effect Presets
         \MIDI Import Map Templates
         \Modulator Presets
         \My Directory
    \_All Sessions
         \APC40MK1
              \…
         \Custom
              \…
    \_Bank Presets
         \APC40MK1
         \Other
    \_Sample Packs
    \_Sample Tools

I will probably include independent directory downloads if you don’t want this directory as it could get large. For those I haven’t already told, I’m going to assume you will see where I am going with my new ambitious project. Feel free to ask questions. I’m full of surprises. :) <3

• So you are doing a separate resource folder entirely from the forum structure ?
    Oh well, that idea lasted all of a few weeks hahahaha.

• @5pinlink said:
    So you are doing a separate resource folder entirely from the forum structure ?
    Oh well, that idea lasted all of a few weeks hahahaha.

No this doesn't replace yours at all. Its a supplemental thing. I haven't explained anything yet so it's hard to explain. I'll PM you.

• Any collaborators or myself working on this project:

future sample tools & workflow sessions, bank templates for controllers, etc will mostly follow an acronym-based naming convention based on the controllers themselves or with certain preset pads named specifically to serve a certain purpose. This is just easier for users dealing with text in all views in BM3 and to understand a particular template. They can of course be overwritten.

Doing this because before I had everything named (and even labeled on my APC40) based on how I was going to use it. This wasn’t supportive of users who want to customize this to their own liking. This will also cut back on my need to constantly update image maps of a particular controller. The focus actions and templates themselves will explain it

example screenshot of the new naming scheme for 1.3 (backlogged):