BM3 Battle #08 - Acapella-GO! (Deadline 20th of May - Brambos Perforator Prize)

Comments

• edited April 2018

Musical notation is an incredibly efficient and powerful symbolic language and way of encoding and preserving the structure of a piece.

It was the DAW equivalent in the Renaissance period and hasn't really been improved upon since for storing a composer's work.

Though I do concede there's not much to be gained from a modern electronic musician learning it. Better to just learn music theory instead, and the circle of fifths.

• I barely understand English.

• @tk32 said:
    I can read sheet music, but I can't see the bit you are referring to (I can't even see the word 'sad' on any of the 8 pages!)

It’s hard to see, and might be dependent on contrast, but it’s there:

• edited April 2018

Now I see :)

The pages are scanned from a book that contains sheet music for multiple songs. That must be the next page/song title showing through.

My guess would be 'Why do I feel so sad' (also by Alicia Keys)

• I initially thought I'd struggle with this vocal, but I must say I'm making great progress.. though unfortunately this means I could be finished by the weekend, in which case I'll have to sit for 3 weeks resisting the urge to tweak (ie ruin) the track up until the deadline!!

How is everyone else getting on (if you've started yet)?

• @tk32 said:

I’m sure that’s it. Case closed! Great detective work =)

• @ronji said:

@tk32 said:

I’m sure that’s it. Case closed! Great detective work =)

And there’s me thinking it was a murder/mystery message written in lemon juice.

• @GusGranite I know right?? =p

• Have you ever heard Alicia Keys sing about butterflies over a dark and dirty neuro tech-funk d&b track?

...you will soon ;)

• @tk32 yeeess! I might make mine a smooth liquid roller =)

• Hope everyone's entries are coming along nicely :)

You can PM me if you want to hear an early version of my track.

• You should change your username to WIP haha.

• I was thinking 5wiplink

• Im loving this contest. About 40% done with my submission. Great choice Ronji!

• Yes! Glad you're joining in on the fun, @nkdVKNG

• I'm really enjoying having ready-to-use vocals.

Hell, I might even be improving as a producer!!

• @tk32 said:
    I'm really enjoying having ready-to-use vocals.

Hell, I might even be improving as a producer!!

I think that's the beauty of these competitions, the challenges they provide for a producer and the new techniques you pick up in the long run.

• ...and the feature requests they inspire. :)

• Here is a video i captured from chordify that I matched up to the acapella. kind of neat to see.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/difl2d2dd44df20/butterflyz-chords-video.MP4?dl=0

• So... how do we post these in the end? Wont they get booted off soundcloud or youtube? Just dropbox?

• edited May 2018

I've already uploaded my track to SoundCloud (in private mode) and no issues so far.

Fingers crossed.

Besides, I don't think their matching algorithms are clever enough to spot remixes, only original copyright material.

Thanks for the Chordify vid btw ;)

• Hmmm, alrighty, good to know... i have heard of some poor folks getting original tunes removed simply because they used the same sample library as another track, so I thought it must be extra fascist/clever.

• edited May 2018

Soundcloud spotted my bands remix of some shit british faux rock band and closed my bands account, we used less than ten seconds of the original.
    (I would post the link but you know, language, offensive, toxic masculinity etc etc)

I will happily host them if sent to me ;)

• edited May 2018

Oh just remembered the name of the shit band, Modestep, they did a remix compo via FB, our remix had the most votes/reposts, they ignored it completely and didnt even acknowledge it lol.

• Getting it down to 3.5 mins isn’t easy!

• Opposite here...

Getting tracks over 2.5 mins is usually my problem ;)

• Don't forget the breakdown!

• Yeah yeah.. I've got my breakdown sorted already ;)

• It’s not really a breakdown kinda track but I’ll do my worst.

• I’m getting some ‘sample not found’ since I trimmed a sample. I keep re-saving the session but when I open it up again it makes me search the directory for 10mins to find it again. Very strange. I will try saving everything, samples and all, to a new session.